• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flea Treatment - Advantage or Xeno Ultra?

snaisby

Warren Scout
Hi there, i have posted a few times about Otto, the bunny i found as a stray. I treated him with ivermectin (Beaphar Spot on) about 3 weeks ago just in case of mites/lice/fleas, and hadnt seen any bugs on him at all. however when he went in for his neuter 2 weeks later, the vet found a couple of live fleas in the fold of his ears. she said to wait and see if that was the last of them, but yesterday i found a couple more live ones on the edge of his ear. having done a bit of reading it seems that ivermectin is not great for fleas (even though it was recommended for them on the box :roll:)

the vet has Advantage (imidacloprid) and Xeno Ultra (permethrin) available, and didnt seem to know which is more effective for bunnies. which would you recommend? where can i buy them at a better price than the vets? Otto is an outdoor bunny who spends most of his time in his run, and we have a cat who wanders around the garden (she is Frontlined up to date though) so he could potentially get them again i guess even if i kill them all this time round. do people treat for fleas preventatively, or wait until they see evidence of them?

Thanks!

Sarah

xeno is fine (i thought it was ivermectin though?) make sure they don't mean xenex (which is permethrin) as i've heard of lots of rabbits reacting badly... i'd go with the advantage :)

xeno is fine (i thought it was ivermectin though?) make sure they don't mean xenex (which is permethrin) as i've heard of lots of rabbits reacting badly... i'd go with the advantage :)

agree completly do not use xenex... iv not used xeno but have heard it is fine. xenex my poor bunny looked like we had poured scolding water over her after 1 drop on her neck bless her it was terrible and i have heard of other horrible reactions too. x

Sorry it should have read Xenex Ultra (permethrin), not Xeno which is also ivermectin. ok thanks, i shall be avoiding permethrin then! Anyone know a cheap place to buy Advantage? Any more thoughts on preventative treatment?

not sure if advantage is a prescription only med? :? if it is, you could try the xeno 400 spray, as I know that you can just buy that online... it is ivermectin though.
You need to check the label for when to re-treat as you won't kill the eggs, so you need to treat 3 times, each 2 weeks apart (I think!) to get them all :)

The Xenex is definitely not worth risking, and I don't think ivermectin (Xeno) kills fleas...so Advantage is definitely the way to go IMO. Unfortunately Advantage is prescription only and costs anywhere from around £13 to over £20 at the vets.

Were the fleas adult or baby fleas?

If its adult he could be getting them from the grass, which will jump on him, bit him and then die, which is what you want to happen. If they are babies then the drugs might not have worked properly.

The flea stuff doesn't stop them picking up fleas, animals always will pick up a few, but it kills the fleas that do bite them.

Xenex killed my bun so steer well clear of that.

Advantage is said to be better, as is Revolution, but no idea if that's available over here.

Xeno 450 is fine for use of buns (from my experiences) but was useless against fleas.

Also remember to treat your home too, otherwise the animal could be getting reinfected from the house and also reinfecting the house.

you can get advantage without a prescription....i buy it here...and they sell revolution too..which is selamectin for mites etc.

heres the link to the place i have used for a few years now.

its in the cat packaging but i asked a vet and they said follow the weight recommendations...

revolution kills ear mites..and fleas
http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/index.php?cPath=2_214_69

advantage
http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/index.php?cPath=2_214_12

i wouldnt use them if i hadnt bought from them many times and used stuff on buns.

they sell a generic version of drontal to worm my cats with too..and capstar pills for cats with fleas..that combined with advantage cures that in cats! the steam cleaner takes cares of flea eggs and larvae!

DO NOT USE XENEX ULTRA it scalded one of my buns so badly he had to have vet treatment afterwards:( xeno 450 is ok tho. i have bought ivermectin drops psot on for a while now..

pharmaQ ivermectin drops...one drop a week for three weeks...sorted. enough for several buns!
http://www.pharmaq.co.uk/shop/erol....=Search&fr=ytff1-amo&fr2=sb-top&rd=pref&sao=1

Back