• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Nala's injured paw

Margret

Warren Scout
Didn't have any problems last night, she did eat some hay and her pellets. Let her out in the garden this morning...wasn't keen to jump out of hutch so we lifted her. One minute paw was up, then down, then back up again. Seemed happy enough to run around garden on three paws. Eating grass and dandelion leaves. She did then jump into hutch, then back out again.
When in hutch she is sitting quietly, but as she did have her VHD injection Monday, then the trauma yesterday, think she may be under the weather for a few days....do you think this is the case. Vet said to take her back if I thought she was still having problems with leg, but she doesn't seem to be.????

If she is running on three legs (even on and off) then it indicates that she IS still having problems with the paw.

It does sound, however, like it is improving, which is good. The fact she is also eating is awesome.

If that were me and she were mine, and I didn't have any pain medication to give to her, I would call and ask for some to administer at home (you can get oral Metacam drops). This ONLY what I would do though andnot necessarily the only and best course of action.

In my eyes doing that would save the stress of a further vet visit for her, but get her what she probably needs.

Sounds like you're doing a brilliant job for her.

Didn't have any problems last night, she did eat some hay and her pellets. Let her out in the garden this morning...wasn't keen to jump out of hutch so we lifted her. One minute paw was up, then down, then back up again. Seemed happy enough to run around garden on three paws. Eating grass and dandelion leaves. She did then jump into hutch, then back out again.
When in hutch she is sitting quietly, but as she did have her VHD injection Monday, then the trauma yesterday, think she may be under the weather for a few days....do you think this is the case. Vet said to take her back if I thought she was still having problems with leg, but she doesn't seem to be.????

Was that cylap or lapinject?

:wave:
I don't know what she got, vet never said. Didn't realise that there could be problems with Cyclap until I read it here on the forum....now that is another worry. Are they usually a bit off colour after having this injection.
Just been back down at her and she has eaten all her veggies + her dandelion leaves, I did think if she was unwell she wouldn't eat, but maybe I am wrong

I don't know what she got, vet never said. Didn't realise that there could be problems with Cyclap until I read it here on the forum....now that is another worry. Are they usually a bit off colour after having this injection.
Just been back down at her and she has eaten all her veggies + her dandelion leaves, I did think if she was unwell she wouldn't eat, but maybe I am wrong

I would ring the vet and ask them which they used, and to report the limp to the manufacturers as a suspected vaccine reation.
My two rabbits that had wasp stings recently only limped for about an hour (although they did have pain relief as soon as I noticed)

If you look at your vaccination card it will say what injection was used.

The Cylap limp is a very well reported side effect (although, none of mine-of which I currenty have 16 have ever exhibited that as a side effect), but many people have seen that in their bun.

I wonder if there is something in that line of thought as to what caused your buns limp.

Just called the vet and she says it is Cylap they use, but she says that Nala's injured paw has no connection, due to the fact she does have some bruising on the foot and we don't know what actually caused the injury, wasp/bee sting was only a suggestion, it could be a sprain from jumping out of hutch or running around garden.
She is out in the garden at the moment and OH says she has jumped into and out of the hutch...out of more cautious than the jumping in, but the paw is more on the ground now. Vet did say it could take 24 hours.
What problems can the vaccine Cylap cause?

Just called the vet and she says it is Cylap they use, but she says that Nala's injured paw has no connection, due to the fact she does have some bruising on the foot and we don't know what actually caused the injury, wasp/bee sting was only a suggestion, it could be a sprain from jumping out of hutch or running around garden.
She is out in the garden at the moment and OH says she has jumped into and out of the hutch...out of more cautious than the jumping in, but the paw is more on the ground now. Vet did say it could take 24 hours.
What problems can the vaccine Cylap cause?

The main problems people have reported are a front paw limp or a raw patch appearing near to the injection site, that has a similar appearance to a chemical burn.
If you search for 'vhd reactions' or 'cylap reaction' you will find lots of thread about it

Last edited:
:wave: I have just had a look at VHD side effects thread and on reading the posts, it looks more than likely this is the problem. I will check the site as to where she got injection, but I know for sure she won't be getting this vaccine again....even if this is not her problem.
I really appreciate all the advice that everyone gives me.

Nala has made huge improvement, all four paws are now on the ground, and she is running around the garden...maybe not as fast as usual, but definately a whole lot more than she was doing this morning. She looks brighter, so I am now more thinking it does have something to do with her Cylap vaccine, rather than an actual injury or sting...even though the vet says no.
Would like to thank everyone again for all the help given these last few days
Thank you

Back