• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much food is too much?

*lily*

Wise Old Thumper
Louie at present gets a handful of pellets in the morning plus mixed leaves, a piece of carrot, herbs and a grape. He gets the same in the evening.

During the day he freeranges in the garden and house. He constantly hoovers his way through grass, leaves, my Lavender bush, herbs etc in the garden.

Overnight he eats every scrap of his food plus a pile of hay.

Am I feeding him enough? I know he is growing rapidly and needs good nutrition but I don't want him to become a chubber!

He has tons of energy constantly bombing around. Should I give him more food or, when he has finished his pellets and veg just let him eat his hay?

Louie at present gets a handful of pellets in the morning plus mixed leaves, a piece of carrot, herbs and a grape. He gets the same in the evening.

During the day he freeranges in the garden and house. He constantly hoovers his way through grass, leaves, my Lavender bush, herbs etc in the garden.

Overnight he eats every scrap of his food plus a pile of hay.

Am I feeding him enough? I know he is growing rapidly and needs good nutrition but I don't want him to become a chubber!

He has tons of energy constantly bombing around. Should I give him more food or, when he has finished his pellets and veg just let him eat his hay?

I would say that you can definitely remove one of the handfuls of pellets now - either morning or evening, and then begin to bring this handful down to just an eggcup full over the next month perhaps. I would at the same time start to introduce a wider range of veg and leaves (slowly of course) and you should find that he begins to up his hay eating even more - which is obviously what you want in the long run. :)

i'd say more hay, fewer pellets - i started to wean eric off them by a few in a morning and a few at night as thats when he was used to them and expected them:roll: he was happy to just get a few rather than none.
maybe get him some different types of hay to try as he'll find that interesting - esp if you hide a couple of pellets in it - make him work for the pellets;)

Back