• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

gravity feeder Vs water bowl

Danielle84

Mama Doe
Hi! Just wondered...

we have had timmy now for almost 6 months and have always used a water bowl. He has never taken to the gravity water bottle and we still leave it there for him to try but he always prefers the bowl.

I know that bowls aren't ideal due to how they are easily contaminated, but we do change the water about 3 times a day to make sure it's fresh!

Just want to know if what we're doing is ok? Or whether we're putting Timmy at risk!

He does drink enough and has only toppled the bowl over once when he was in a strop because we put him back in his pen to say goodnight :lol:

I used to use bottles all the time but I much prefer bowls now, they can get a much better drink from them when they need one and I wouldn't go back to bottles to be honest.

I use bowls all the time. Any buns that board with me drink out of bowls as well. I don't use the bottles at all now. It's a much more natural way for them to drink. I don't have any problems with contamination as I position them on a housebrick.:)
Shall I start a poll about it?

I much prefer bowls, I hate seeing them struggle to get a drink of water from a tiny little hole (just my opinion) but then again, mine are wild and decide to drink from the dirty green pond instead of the lovely fresh water that I change twice a day! :roll:

I much prefer bottles. It is a constant source of clean water for them.
I have tried bowls in the past but it either gets spilled everywhere or gets poo, wee and hay in it.

My three have two bottles and a bowl. The bowl is stood inside a small sized cat litter tray along with their food bowl and veggies. I change it about once a day as in this position it doesn't get a lot in it apart from the odd pellet. The bowl does seem to go down faster than the bottles.

Thanks all :D I guess it's down to personal preference and what the bun prefers, timmy seems happy enough with his bowl!

Back