• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Santa update - u/d test results back!

Santa

Wise Old Thumper
:wave: Thanks to Aunty Simone the vet, Santa has had a very successful op today :) She started with some skull x-rays which showed that her tooth roots have indeed penetrated the bone :( but we thought that was the case anyway and they're not actually as bad as we'd expected!

Then she had a swab taken from her nasal cavity, followed by a nasal flush as suggested by the Bristol Rabbit clinic. It took 45ml of fluid before it ran clear :shock: Simone said that what came out was pretty disgusting so hopefully she will feel a lot more comfortable now without all that goo up there. A gloopy bit of that has also been sent for analysis.

Finally she had her dental and all teeth nicely shortened and straightened.

Simone asked the nurses to make an appt to see me this evening, she had a choice of 4.20 and 5.40 and told the nurse to make it 5.40 as Santa wouldn't be awake at 4.20...except she was very much awake, up and about and trashing her cage :lol: For a 6 year old chronic snuffler she certainly doesn't follow the text book on how she's supposed to take a long while to come round from the anaesthetic!

Her and Dudley are now in a dog crate in the kitchen where they will stay tonight :) We should have results from the C&S tests back next week. We have never been able to get a positive sample before but I'm hopeful this time :)

Last edited:
Glad it went well, although sorry to hear about the growth into the bones.

I'm surprised I didn't hear Santa, as I was in the vets at 4.30! :lol:

Did you hear me shouting "howwwwwwww much?!" when I got the bill :lol:

My bunnies without doubt cost more than my cats, why do people think they are cheap pets?!

Have a guess...

...and then have a guess at how much my hubby *thinks* it cost :lol:

Awww, poor Santa has had a traumatic day :( Bless, glad she is ok!

And oh dear......... I bet your bill is WELL into 3 figures!

How funny! :lol:

I had a smaller bill (although still pretty pricey). The growth was removed from my piggy girl OK under local anaesthetic (good old Aunty Simone!), but she couldn't get a decent urine sample to send off. Back on Saturday for wound check.

She seems fine this morning, busy running around the house like a loon before my hubby wakes up :lol:

Right, well we've just been to see Aunty Simone, who was really pleased with her today, she is clearly breathing much more easily and has a lot less discharge; the nasal flush last week definitely made a huge difference to her. Santa also showed her gratitude by biting her shoulder :oops:

All the test results are back, and...

The culture & sensitivity test showed...absolutely nothing! It's not the first time there's been a negative test from Santa, so maybe it is actually because there is no ongoing infection after all :? I had assumed after the first test ages ago that it was just a duff swab, but this time she was done under anaesthetic and two lots were sent away - a swab and a sample of the goo from the flush.

Cytology showed a lot of inflammatory tissue.

Putting it all together, it seems to indicate that the problem is largely stemming from overgrown tooth roots irritating the sensitive tissues around the nasal passages and tear ducts. Presumably this is why she responds better to metacam than to antibiotics. Maybe this also explains why it gets worse when there is a lot of pollen about?

Answers on a postcard :?

Right, well we've just been to see Aunty Simone, who was really pleased with her today, she is clearly breathing much more easily and has a lot less discharge; the nasal flush last week definitely made a huge difference to her. Santa also showed her gratitude by biting her shoulder :oops:

All the test results are back, and...

The culture & sensitivity test showed...absolutely nothing! It's not the first time there's been a negative test from Santa, so maybe it is actually because there is no ongoing infection after all :? I had assumed after the first test ages ago that it was just a duff swab, but this time she was done under anaesthetic and two lots were sent away - a swab and a sample of the goo from the flush.

Cytology showed a lot of inflammatory tissue.

Putting it all together, it seems to indicate that the problem is largely stemming from overgrown tooth roots irritating the sensitive tissues around the nasal passages and tear ducts. Presumably this is why she responds better to metacam than to antibiotics. Maybe this also explains why it gets worse when there is a lot of pollen about?

Answers on a postcard :?

I guess Santa would get too stressed by having a topical anti-inflam' given directly into her nasal passages ?

Are her nasolacrimal ducts blocked ? If not perhaps an anti-inflammatory eye drop could be given which would hopefully also drain into her nasal passages :?

Thanks Jane, it's interesting you mention using eye drops, Simone mentioned this too a while ago so I'll make a point of asking about this again. Fortunately her tear ducts aren't blocked, they are small and deep but definitely running clear on both sides.

Have tried tiacil in the nasal passages before and you're quite right, she wasn't having any of it! I wonder if nebulising it might be better for her?

Back