• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Injured paw

Margret

Warren Scout
Nala was running around the garden this morning, didn't notice anything different, she then jumped into her hutch, so we closed it up and went shopping. On our return we opened hutch, but she didn't jump out as usual. When my husband lifted her out we notcied she was holding her front paw up and it seemed to be turned under. We examined it...she allowed us to touch it, also checked her nails, no sign of bleeding or anything untoward.
She is not racing around as usual, but still muching away on grass. Is it possible she may have sprained it, or could it be she has caught it on wire on her hutch. Not sure whether to take her to vet this afternoon or wait and see what it is like in morning...she is not showing any signs of pain.

I think you need to take her today given that it hasn't settled quickly (in the same way if she had wrenched it, it might have done). It could be broken/shattered/fractured, or it could be sprained.

As you probably know rabbits hide their pain because they are a prey species, so just because she is not showing it doesn't mean she isn't feeling it. Common sense says if she is not using the paw then its hurting and thats what you have to pay attention too.

She definitely needs to see a vet later today, or sooner if she deteriorates.

I would keep her confined to a small space (like a carry case) so she can't move around and possibly do further damage, and make food and water easily available to her.

If she has a bonded friend don't split them up because she will need him.

Aww poor Nala.

Given that rabbits hide pain very well and deteriorate very quickly, i would not leave anything to chance. It may be nothing to worry about, but its def best to get it checked out. Hope she is ok.

I see your in Stirlingshire too :wave: in in Stenhousemuir.

:wave:Shazzabunny.

Just gonna check on her again...we are in Larbert. I really don't know what to do. We have only had her 2 weeks, she came as a rescue. Only yesterday one of our 2 guinea pigs died, but she was more than 6 year old, that I can accept. The week can only get worse

I'm sorry your week has been rubbish so far. I hate the saying it never rains but it pours, but sometimes that is just true.

I hope the vet finds out it is nothing serious.

Managed to get an appointment at the vet for 5pm. Is it best to keep her in her hutch or put her in her carrybox for now. Don't want to stress her out anymore than is needed. Now I know why I stopped rescuing rabbits, I get too upset when something is wrong. Just checked her again, still holding paw up but will let us touch it.

How big is her hutch?

Ideally she needs to be as immobolised as much as possible just in case it is broken. It's good she will let you near it. That's a good sign.

I know of a bun recently who hurt her paw. I held her for the first hour or so after she did it. I didn't try to touch the paw, but it was pulled right up to her. I only held her because that was where she was comfortable, when she started to shift we put her in a carry case. Turned out this bun had chipped off a bit of her elbow and also cracked another bone too.

Equally, I had one of mine wrench her paw and she acted just as bad but it was just a wrench and she was fine the next day.

I'm sorry this has happened so soon after having her. I know its emotionally draining for you, but this could have happened wherever she was, and so its far better for her to have it happen in a loving home and to get some extra special TLC.

Just came back up from seeing her. When she is on grass, she is now putting the leg down, but obviously not putting weight on it. She is a real digger, at one point she was digging with one paw, but balancing on the other, showing no signs of discomfort, still grooming herself and munching on grass.
Have put her back in Hutch, and will put her in her carrybox in a bit to take her to vet. Fingers crossed it isn't anything too serious.

Aww :( what a shame about your wee piggy :(. It really does feel like one thing after another somtimes.

Is it David Charity you go to? He is a brill vet.
Im glad wee Nala is acting ok within herself. They are such a worry. Let us know how she gets on.

:wave:Shazzabunny
We go to Bruceview Vet Clinic in Stirling. Have went there for years now with Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, dog and the cat. Have always wondered about getting a vet nearer but sometimes better with the one you know. She is still munching, and doesn't seem at all distressed. Will let you know how it goes.

Hi Margret.
If you trust the vet your with there is no point in changing :D.

I have been through most of the vets in the Falkirk area :oops:. But i can truly say Pets Friend (its on King Street) is the best ever. David has an incredible bunny knowledge getting my buns through some pretty serious problems.

Glad Nala is still eating, bless her.

Home from the vet, thankfully no bones broken. Nala was given a thorough examination, Stephanie did say there was a little bruising between her toe. She says it could have been a wasp/bee sting....when Ian examined Nala earlier he thought he had felt a tiny nail splinter, but now we wonder was it the sting he had pulled out...or she said she maybe had sprained it, could be a dozen reasons. Vet gave her a painkilling injection and said she should be ok by tomorrow if not, take her back. Just glad no bones broken

I'm glad it appears to be nothing serious :) Hopefully she will be back to herself and you won't need to go back tomorrow. If you do have to go back, maybe ask for x-rays. Hopefully that won't happen though.

Ooh poor bun. It least it wasn't in the mouth, that could have been serious.
Two have mine have had wasp stings this Autumn :censored: wasps! I have to got out at sweep up the windfalls from 2 plum trees and several apple trees to avoid attracting them xx

Back