• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies licking the paint off their hutch...

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
I painted Lottie and Georges hutch the day before i went on holiday. Yesterday i noticed a small patch of paint missing on the back of the hutch... i didnt think anything of it, but this morning theres loads gone! They must be licking it off :( :? Ive not actually seen them do it, and its only happening of a night time when theyre put to bed.

It was the cuprinol stuff, so its meant to be pet safe but surely theyre not meant to constantly lick it?! They seem fine in themselves. Im just really worried. Anyone know if too much of it can harm them? :? xXx

It is supposed to be harmless once dry, but I wouldn't have thought they'd be able to lick it off unless it it was still wet :? Are you sure it was properly dry?
Is there anywhere else you could keep them until it dries properly?
ETA: it might come off if the wood was damp it which case the paint would still be damp and potentially harmful.

Last edited:
But it was painted the weekend before i went on holiday, so the 6th :? And its now the 15th... surely thats plenty long enough? When we were on hol it was a lovely week here too. Its definately fully dry. Im sure of that... i cant understand it :( Lottie is pulling her fur out now too, im wondering if it may be to do with licking the paint :?

But it was painted the weekend before i went on holiday, so the 6th :? And its now the 15th... surely thats plenty long enough? When we were on hol it was a lovely week here too. Its definately fully dry. Im sure of that... i cant understand it :( Lottie is pulling her fur out now too, im wondering if it may be to do with licking the paint :?

Maybe they don't like the colour then?
:oops: Sorry, couldn't resist!
Is there any chance the wood was damp before you painted? that would stop it drying. Otherwise they are probably chewing or scratching it off.
The fur pulling may be an unrelated problem, such as mites (or false pregnancy if she isn't spayed)

:lol: OH said it must be the colour! He doesnt like it either! haha

She is speyed :love: I hope its not mites, shall have a look at her tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your help :) Hopefully they wont do too much more 'paint removing' :roll:

Back