PDA

View Full Version : Why are breeders rabbits uphappy?

Rachel89
14-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Ok it's not really ment to be a big slagging thing I don't want to cause masses of arguements but I see it on alot of threads and wanted to ask but always been to scared to :oops::lol:

I always see people saying breeders rabbits are unhappy, in small hutches and don't get enough excercise.
But I'm sure there are breeders who keep there rabbits in the best conditions and plently of love/fuss/care and non breeders who are worse then what I described.
Just wondering why they always get tarnished with the same brush?

****runs away never to return :oops:****

lottielouise
14-09-2009, 10:51 PM
I think cos there are more bad stories about irresponsible breeders that those who are responsible and do care about the mental helath and wellbeing of their rabbits are completely out weighed

Bunny Buddy
14-09-2009, 10:58 PM
I think generally as well there will be quite a few unneutered does and buck in fairly close proximity living alone so no companionship and lots of hormones and sexual frustration flying about.

There's a tendency to small hutches just to fit them all in.

Ideally they would need human attention as they would have no bunny companion and I just can't see how you could give them a lot of attention if there's a high number of them.

I guess also the back yard breeders make the 'headlines' a lot more than any responsible breeders would.

sidereus7
14-09-2009, 11:06 PM
I agree with the OP. Many breeders get a bad rap when they actually treat their animals quite well.

I got Milo from a breeder (before I found you guys) and he was friendly from the start. It was clear that he was handled very often, and she gave me the heads up that he had mites before, but that she treated it. She also asked for picture updates, and is always grateful when I send them :), and said she would always take him back if I ever had the need.

Now, she did have him on a bad diet, and it took me a bit to wean him off it, but she had the very best intentions and loves all her rabbits to death. I certainly don't think she is a bad person, but she could use to be a bit more informed about buns.

areia
15-09-2009, 12:04 AM
the breeder i got bigs from i thought was a bit nutty :lol: i cant really complain now bigs was a runt and is the healthiest bunny i have, she was informative though didnt mention breeding or companion though maybe because she knew hes was at the time to be a single house bun,and did drill my partner with questions, but her buns were all loverly and heathly with lots of room she breeds twice a year so she gave her doe's some rest,

honeybunny
15-09-2009, 12:06 AM
I think the main reason that breeders aren't too popular on this forum is because it is linked to a rescue database and is supported by many rescues.

also..personally I have found most breeders who I've come across on the net, tell everyone how well they keep their rabbits..then post pics of their breeder blocks and prove otherwise:(

there are a couple of exceptions on here

Rachel89
15-09-2009, 12:18 AM
See I get abit annoyed as not everyones like that and don't want to be jumped on.
We breed but they have one or two litters max a year as they are my pets (more like the family) then a money makeing machine which isn't.

They all go out nearly all the day wether it inside or outside and so well handled. They all have big hutches, two story 5ft odd ones.
But I also have two rescue bunnies too who I love dearly and aren't breeding :love:

I guess it depends on the persobn but sometimes its abit like please don't tarnish me too :D
My step mum has 5 rescue rabbits, my brother and sister have one each too :D

Jack's-Jane
15-09-2009, 06:53 AM
I dont doubt that some Breeders do care for their Rabbits well. BUT IMO I cannot see any justification in breeding more Rabbits (yes, even just a couple of litters a year) when there are thousands of Rabbits in Rescue in need of a home.

I have bought from a Breeder but would NEVER do so again. Not because I think all breeders are 'bad' but because I think it morally wrong to support breeding more Rabbits.

SunshineandTwinkle
15-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Yep for me it is morally wrong to breed when there are so many rabbits in rescues awaiting new homes. A few months back our nearest rescue had 30 bunnies in with 70 awaiting collection when space cleared.

I think if you do rescue work you see the flip side of the coin. For me it is not about there being good and bad breeding it is the morals associated with doing it. I can't justify it at all.

Bunnyaddict
15-09-2009, 08:06 AM
Yep for me it is morally wrong to breed when there are so many rabbits in rescues awaiting new homes. A few months back our nearest rescue had 30 bunnies in with 70 awaiting collection when space cleared.

I think if you do rescue work you see the flip side of the coin. For me it is not about there being good and bad breeding it is the morals associated with doing it. I can't justify it at all.

Completely agree with you - I can see no justification what so ever for breeding more buns, when there are thousands sat in rescues waiting for their own loving home & probably even more living a miserable existence because rescue centres are so full :cry:

I have never bought from from a breeder & never will do. It's not just buns I wouldn't buy from a breeder, it's any animal due to the sheer numbers of unwanted animals that rescue centres are trying to cope with. :cry:

Santa
15-09-2009, 08:22 AM
In addition to what has already been said...

If breeders are only breeding from their rabbits once or twice a year to give the buns a good rest - then presumably that means that those rabbits are all living alone for the vast majority of the time. Rabbits are social creatures and studies have shown that bonded rabbits spend most of their time together. Therefore it's not unreasonable to suggest that neutered, paired rabbits are happier because they have a constant companion.

Similarly, neutering removes any sexual frustration that would be felt by single, entire rabbits who live within sniffing distance of sexually mature rabbits of the opposite sex. So breeder rabbits are in effect being 'teased' constantly with the scent of other buns but not able to get to them.

Finally, yes I'm sure there are lots of breeders who keep their buns in good accommodation, and many owners who don't. But where do you suppose these owners got their buns from? There will be some who acquired them from friends, but on the whole it will be from breeders, either directly or via pet shops. Breeder buns may be happy, but are all their offspring, and all their offspring's offspring?

Jack's-Jane
15-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Also when I know for a fact that healthy Rabbits (and other animals) are PTS every day just because there is no-where to house them it makes delibertate breeding even more nonsensical.

sidereus7
15-09-2009, 08:34 AM
I just wanted to clarify that I think some breeders are well-intentioned, but that does not mean I support breeding. They should more carefully research the precious lives in their care, but that just means that they are careless, not necessarily cruel.

I think one should need a license to breed rabbits, and in order to get the license, you need to complete a certain amount of hours of rabbit care classes. That way, you wouldn't have all these backyard breeders. :? But I haven't thought this well enough through, so it might be a terrible idea too.

Angie65
15-09-2009, 08:55 AM
I've heard a lot from so-called "good breeders". Then I've been to their houses & seen their stacks of hutches, & the 2 runs that 30 rabbits alternate in. I've heard how they "love" their animals, & how the buns are perfectly happy hormonal & alone in a 2ft cage. I've NEVER seen what I would class as a good breeder.

Maybe I'm cynical to assume that all breeders are like the 15 I've seen. Maybe I'm right.:lol:

Crystal butterfly
15-09-2009, 09:07 AM
there are bad breeders out there like the one i got Lilli from she was so antisocial and the first few times i placed her in the run/free range in the garden she just sat in the corner like she didnt know what to do with all the space because she'd been confined to 2ft hutch for 3 years before i got her.

but i do know there are good breeders out there without breeders pet rabbts wuld pretty much becme extinct and i do feel that breeders get a hard time on here before they can even prove themselves to be good and responsible.

what i dont like is :censored: people who think '1' litter will be ok when in reality.... 2 rabbits produce babies those babies get sold those babies have babies then their babies have babies and so on so that 1 litter actually produce 100's of rabbits maybe 1000's!

Sky-O
15-09-2009, 09:10 AM
I think one should need a license to breed rabbits, and in order to get the license, you need to complete a certain amount of hours of rabbit care classes. That way, you wouldn't have all these backyard breeders. :? But I haven't thought this well enough through, so it might be a terrible idea too.

This. I agree with this.

If you needed a license to breed and then sell, and that was only granted to responsible breeders then the rabbit problem in rescues would ease because you wouldn't get impulse buys at pet shops, and you wouldn't get backyard breeders breeding their rabbits like machines to make money.

They could limit rabbitry sizes and amounts of kits bred, etc (although most responsible breeders do this anyway).

I'm not against responsible breeding because I don't think they are the ones causing the problems (note I said responsible), although I do agree that any breeding is adding to the overpopulation problem. I think its the irresponsible and the back yard breeders who cause the problem and make it so much worse than it already is because often they pump out the unhealthy buns, sheer volume, get rid of them too young, etc.

Bunnyaddict
15-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Also when I know for a fact that healthy Rabbits (and other animals) are PTS every day just because there is no-where to house them it makes delibertate breeding even more nonsensical.

Absolutely agree Jane - sorry it's beyond my comprehension why anyone would want to deliberately breed any animal, when there are thousands that are just waiting for their 2nd chance :cry:

I don't care how well any breeder loves, cares or houses their animals - I'm sorry but in my view, it's just plain selfish for bringing more animals into the world just to meet our own selfish needs or whims :evil:

abbymarysmokey
15-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Some show breeders are especially bad. Certan breeds, such as Dutches and Lionheads, need to be produced in large quantities in order for the owner to be able to show successfully...i.e. Dutches tend to have less than perfect markings and Lionheads can only be shown until their first moult, when their mane tends to become more sparse.

This means that some breeders have large numbers of rabbits to 'dispose' of. Many claim to have waiting lists for their rabbits, but the reality is that most babies are sold to pet shops, given away in the free-ads, sent to auction, or killed by necking, drowning, hammer to the back of the head, etc, etc (basically by any means that doesn't cost money) :cry:

The more conscientious breeders tend to breed types of rabbit that can be shown for a long period of time and don't require huge numbers of litters just to get show quality markings

Rachel89
15-09-2009, 09:41 AM
I see plently of other people with ponies on here, who also must be against rabbit breeding then? yeap? How many bought there ponies and didn't go to a sanctuary? Same with other animals.
Ours have 3 litters then they are spayed and paired. Our Bucks are kept seperate from our Does.

I know alot about showing too and the breeders that do, and believe me I have been told every horror story going and given advice on what to do which I have clearly run a mile from. Being described down to detail on how to "get rid" of your excess stock wasn't my idea of an afternoon chat.

All our babies we know how and were they are and when one lady couldn't keep her rabbit anylonger due to illness we had him back and would do with any of the others. He was paird with one of our spayed does.

Jack's-Jane
15-09-2009, 10:08 AM
I see plently of other people with ponies on here, who also must be against rabbit breeding then? yeap? How many bought there ponies and didn't go to a sanctuary? Same with other animals.
Ours have 3 litters then they are spayed and paired. Our Bucks are kept seperate from our Does.

I know alot about showing too and the breeders that do, and believe me I have been told every horror story going and given advice on what to do which I have clearly run a mile from. Being described down to detail on how to "get rid" of your excess stock wasn't my idea of an afternoon chat.

All our babies we know how and were they are and when one lady couldn't keep her rabbit anylonger due to illness we had him back and would do with any of the others. He was paird with one of our spayed does.

But why do you feel it necessary to breed :?
I am not trying to start (another:roll:) argument, I genuinely cannot understand your mindset :?

I notice you appear to like Dutches and 'Rabbit Show Jumping'. There are HUNDREDS of Dutches in Rescue (some come in with BRC rings :evil:). So you could obtain a group of Rescue Dutchies and still participate in the Rabbit Show Jumping (if the Rabbits were suited to it).

SunshineandTwinkle
15-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Well I don't have a pony, I don't see how that can come into the discussion really. It's still wrong to breed bunnies, regardless of where peoples ponies come from. :?

I also think showing is inhumane as well! Oh dear, we aint singing from the same hymn sheet here! :lol:

Jack's-Jane
15-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Well I don't have a pony, I don't see how that can come into the discussion really. It's still wrong to breed bunnies, regardless of where peoples ponies come from. :?

I also think showing is inhumane as well! Oh dear, we aint singing from the same hymn sheet here! :lol:

Me and thee are............................;)

Rachel89
15-09-2009, 10:27 AM
because someone else above mentioned other animals :) I wouldn't of put it in otherwise.

I don't compete in jumping I just do it for a bit of fun as Blue seems to love it. We have rescue dutches, the yellow in my sig is a rescue dutch. We only have 2 bucks and 2 does that are not. with 7 rescued rabbits ;)

Bunnyaddict
15-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Me and thee are............................;)

And me :D:lol:

Sorry but having volunteered for several rescues & seeing how overwhelmed, underfunded & under resourced they are - I will never understand the need to breed bunnies or any other animal :? The only exception to me is animals that are endangered i.e. wild ones on the brink of extinction & lets be honest bunnies are not are they?

Some of the rescues I've volunteered with have had ex-breeding buns dumped on them simply because they're unwanted stock, not 'good enough' to show or things have got out of control :evil:

To me I couldn't care less what a bunny looks like. I'm not interested if it's perfect or if you can tell me how many generations back it goes - breeding buns is unnecessary.

I have no wish to start an argument either - but we rescue buns, because we feel so desparately sorry for them :cry: The fact that humans continue to over populate the country with them - whether one or two litters a year is not acceptable to me. Sorry I have never understood it & never will.

Bunnyaddict
15-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Sorry one last point before I get off my soap box :oops: By breeding buns, breeders are taking up homes that rescue buns could have gone too :?

angelgirl
15-09-2009, 10:33 AM
I bought my lovely Abby from a breeder - she is a lovely lady who is really up on the bunny know how. Her buns are in huge hutches and are part of her family. Charlie however is from a rescue, and he is adorable. I went the rescue route cause of so many older buns looking for homes.
I know of someone who breeds buns and there buns are now being ignored as they are not breeding from them now and they are just stuck in their hutches all day.

honeybunny
15-09-2009, 11:29 AM
All I will add is that all my animals are rescues ..dogs and bunnies..and previously we've had rescue rats, hamsters, gerbils and budgie.

in my opinion there is no excuse to buy any animal

Angie65
15-09-2009, 12:20 PM

Both my horses were retired racehorses - free to good homes. One in particular would've been pts if I hadn't taken him.

Any other questions?:D

DemiS
15-09-2009, 03:46 PM
because someone else above mentioned other animals :) I wouldn't of put it in otherwise.

I don't compete in jumping I just do it for a bit of fun as Blue seems to love it. We have rescue dutches, the yellow in my sig is a rescue dutch. We only have 2 bucks and 2 does that are not. with 7 rescued rabbits ;)

Speaking of jumping, where were you Sunday? :lol:

DemiS
15-09-2009, 03:50 PM
I dont doubt that some Breeders do care for their Rabbits well. BUT IMO I cannot see any justification in breeding more Rabbits (yes, even just a couple of litters a year) when there are thousands of Rabbits in Rescue in need of a home.

I have bought from a Breeder but would NEVER do so again. Not because I think all breeders are 'bad' but because I think it morally wrong to support breeding more Rabbits.

If everyone got rabbits from rescues, and no one bred, then in 20 years we would have no rabbits at all :?

I don't support back yard breeding. I don't mind the responsible breeders, who do it for show because they keep most of their babies, or sell them to other exhibitors.

And isn't this thread meant to be about the conditions of breeding rabbits, not just breeding?

Jack's-Jane
15-09-2009, 03:59 PM
If everyone got rabbits from rescues, and no one bred, then in 20 years we would have no rabbits at all :?

I don't support back yard breeding. I don't mind the responsible breeders, who do it for show because they keep most of their babies, or sell them to other exhibitors.

And isn't this thread meant to be about the conditions of breeding rabbits, not just breeding?

The conditions of most breeders accomodation I have seen falls well below the most up-to-date RSPCA recommendations. Sadly this fact appears to be supported within the breeding world. Stacks of small hutches crammed into a shed. Its just not what I personally believe to be an appropriate way to house Rabbits.

DemiS
15-09-2009, 04:50 PM
The conditions of most breeders accomodation I have seen falls well below the most up-to-date RSPCA recommendations. Sadly this fact appears to be supported within the breeding world. Stacks of small hutches crammed into a shed. Its just not what I personally believe to be an appropriate way to house Rabbits.

Me neither, I'd much prefer to see a rabbit with space to move about.
What Rachel is trying to point out though is that she, and many other breeders are not like that.

honeybunny
15-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Well post pics of your bunnies housing and show us..it would be nice to see a breeder using decent accomodation :D

Rachel89
15-09-2009, 06:29 PM
I tend to normally just take pics of the buns, I have one picture though.
Each rabbit has one or each bonded pair, apart from Blue and Honey in this picture as Blues recovering from his manhood being whipped off so they have a top and bottom each at the momment.
All our rescues have these hutches too and never ever had a problem.
They all go out all day and are treated as part of the family, they come before my, i'd go hungry if it ment they wouldn't starve or suffer.
Ignore the pictures :oops::lol:

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs210.snc1/7728_135355498157_575453157_2455615_5586691_n.jpg

It looks really small there but its just over 5ft long
I will take pictures of all of them tomorrow and put them up for you :wave:

DemiS
15-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Each rabbit has one or each bonded pair, apart from Blue and Honey in this picture as Blues recovering from his manhood being whipped off so they have a top and bottom each at the momment.
They all go out all day and are treated as part of the family, they come before my, i'd go hungry if it ment they wouldn't starve or suffer.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs210.snc1/7728_135355498157_575453157_2455615_5586691_n.jpg

Looks good to me :)
And poor Blue :lol: Has his jumping changed since the operation?

MopsyMops =]
15-09-2009, 07:07 PM
I think generally, people generalize people.
Because there are so many cases of bad breeders, its put such a bad look on breeders and is unfair on proper breeders which have ample space and excercise. However, some people just dont realise the horrible conditions that there rabbits are living in, to them it looks ok.. because there isnt enough awareness of the right way of looking after rabbits.

honeybunny
15-09-2009, 07:08 PM

Well if thats a standard sized hayrack and bottle in them it makes those hutches about 3.5 foot long?:?
in fact I'd say its one of these//which is 3 3/4 feet long including roof overhang
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/The-Rabbit-Hutch-Shop/Items/tr62402?&caSKU=tr62402&caTitle=Double%20Decker%20Rabbit%20Guinea%20Pig%20 %20Hutch%20Hutches%20Cage

Sadly doesn't change my view on breeders:(

wee Jimmys mum
15-09-2009, 07:21 PM

The pics are v cute :lol:

i nearly bought a BEWARE OF THE RABBIT sign for Lola's cage today but then realised we're meant to be saving money atm not spending it on beware of the rabbit signs!!

this is an interesting thread

ideally, i'd like rabbits to come from responsible breeders, as mentioned above with a license to breed, and requiring knowledge/accomodation/health checks before they could breed. Maybe one or two litters per rabbit then paired up with another speyed bun. Rabbits are prone to so many health problems, especially bad teeth, and maybe this could be reduced through responsible breeding of healthy bunnies

However in reality people up and down the country are breeding rabbits accidentaly or without the appropriate knowledge, then the babies end up in rescue. I can totally see how frustrating this is for people who work in rescues. The problem is how to stop all these unwanted bunnies.

It just seems like in our culture/country now people find it acceptable to abandon their animals. Lots of people seem to get them with no intention of keeping them past the cute baby stage. For example, a woman at my work recently said she was going to sell her guinea pigs and get a dog cos she was bored of the pigs!! Its a terrible attitude. People should take on a pet with the view to keeping it for life. it just seems acceptable for people to sell their pets or give them to rescues when they get bored.

honeybunny
15-09-2009, 11:04 PM
sadly pets have become another must have..got for status symbols in a lot of cases and deposed of when something new comes along:(

and the argument that we would run out of bunnies if it wasn't for breeders..well if the number of pets dropped drastically then great!
I would love to see the number drop..and those that are here be kept properly with checks and licenses

LoopyLouie
15-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Completely agree with you - I can see no justification what so ever for breeding more buns, when there are thousands sat in rescues waiting for their own loving home & probably even more living a miserable existence because rescue centres are so full :cry:

I have never bought from from a breeder & never will do. It's not just buns I wouldn't buy from a breeder, it's any animal due to the sheer numbers of unwanted animals that rescue centres are trying to cope with. :cry:

I 100% agree with this. There is no justification for bringing more bunnies into the world even if you think you are responsible. I don't doubt you care for your bunnies but frankly love and care isn't enough when there are so many in dire homes or rescue. There is no justification to breed rabbits in this country unless it is to preserve a breed.

LoopyLouie
15-09-2009, 11:23 PM

Oh dear :( I'm sorry but there is something drastically wrong with your tape measure if you say these are over 5ft long :( 4ft max I'm afraid. Please consider stopping, your bunnies will be much happier and maybe you can give them more space? Like the RSPCA minimum recommendations?

LoopyLouie
15-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Well if thats a standard sized hayrack and bottle in them it makes those hutches about 3.5 foot long?:?
in fact I'd say its one of these//which is 3 3/4 feet long including roof overhang
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/The-Rabbit-Hutch-Shop/Items/tr62402?&caSKU=tr62402&caTitle=Double%20Decker%20Rabbit%20Guinea%20Pig%20 %20Hutch%20Hutches%20Cage

Identical I'm afraid :(

DemiS
16-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Sorry one last point before I get off my soap box :oops: By breeding buns, breeders are taking up homes that rescue buns could have gone too :?

Not always. Most of the babies would probably be sold to other exhibitors, and I'm sure not many of them would have rescues if they couldn't have their show buns.

Bunnyaddict
16-09-2009, 08:03 AM
Not always. Most of the babies would probably be sold to other exhibitors, and I'm sure not many of them would have rescues if they couldn't have their show buns.

Well that's a whole other issue in my opinion - because I don't agree with showing bunnies either :? Rabbits are nervous animals by nature & there is nothing natural in showing bunnies :?

Our conti that we rescued Emily is an ex-show rabbit & I have never come across such a frightened, nervous & timid rabbit in my life :cry: Who ever had her as a show rabbit in my opinion did not treat her properly. She was scared stiff of my husband for weeks. I hate to think what she was subjected too :cry:

Sorry but breeding & showing in my opinion are completely unnecessary & cruel! Bunnies or any animal for that matter are not here to be used to meet are our selfish wims.

abbymarysmokey
16-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Don't want to jump on the bandwagon, but I'm good at estimating hutch sizes and those hutches definitely aren't 5ft long unless you have huge hayracks and a huge dutch rabbit!

Milo+Fizz
16-09-2009, 09:15 AM
I agree that hutch is no way 5ft long. If it is then sorry but the only way I will believe it is if you take a picture with a tape measure on it!. I dont even think 5ft is big enough anyway, especially with no attached run.

*Spider*
16-09-2009, 09:16 AM
If you truly love your bunnies that much why don't you give them companions and bigger space and stop breeding?!

Angie65
16-09-2009, 09:17 AM

I agree Jill. That pic basically looked like buns-in-a-box to me:?

Angie65
16-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Well that's a whole other issue in my opinion - because I don't agree with showing bunnies either :? Rabbits are nervous animals by nature & there is nothing natural in showing bunnies :?

Our conti that we rescued Emily is an ex-show rabbit & I have never come across such a frightened, nervous & timid rabbit in my life :cry: Who ever had her as a show rabbit in my opinion did not treat her properly. She was scared stiff of my husband for weeks. I hate to think what she was subjected too :cry:

Sorry but breeding & showing in my opinion are completely unnecessary & cruel! Bunnies or any animal for that matter are not here to be used to meet are our selfish wims.

I agree 100% - I've been to Bradford show & thought exactly that ^^.

And I though exactly the same about Emley show.

rickc
16-09-2009, 09:29 AM
That hutch is a trixie 4ft 2 tiered hutch, 2ft deep approx.

There is a ramp that flops down to make it into 2 hutches should you have any problems with fighting rabbits.

Are you saying these arent good enough for rabbits now then??

*Spider*
16-09-2009, 09:30 AM

There is a ramp that flops down to make it into 2 hutches should you have any problems with fighting rabbits.

Well... to be frank... yup.

abbymarysmokey
16-09-2009, 09:31 AM

They don't meet the RSPCA recommended minimum hutch size, so no they aren't big enough if used as 2 separate hutches

nursecroft
16-09-2009, 09:33 AM

I wouldnt put any of my rabbits in a hutch that small. :?

rickc
16-09-2009, 09:35 AM
I dont use my one as 2 seperate hutches, my ramp stays up and the bottom area is used as a run.

Angie65
16-09-2009, 09:36 AM
I dont use my one as 2 seperate hutches, my ramp stays up and the bottom area is used as a run.

Is there a run attached?:D

*Spider*
16-09-2009, 09:36 AM

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

rickc
16-09-2009, 10:01 AM
So the Trixie according to them is perfectly adequate, what worries me here, and seeing as ive only joined for 1 day is how you put people down so quickly.

Just because you have a view, doesn't mean we all follow it, I don't show animals, or haven't bread animals, but some of the statements relating to how it isn't natural showing rabbits etc etc, i am pretty sure it isn't natural housing rabbits in hutches or having rabbits in houses. But we do.

I hope to see better, focused answers to poeples questions rather than put downs.

I have a run that also fits to the front of my hutch to allow a further 4ft, but to be honest i probably wont use it as i allow my rabbit free run of the back garden.

POSTED FROM AN ANIMAL CENTRE with RSPCA WEBSITE (so the Trixie 2 storey accoring to them is perfectly ok for 2 medium rabbits)

Hutches and Runs

The RSPCA has been campaigning for a better standard of living for small animals.

Hutches and runs are the most important part of this. We have guidelines regarding rabbit and guinea pig accommodation.

As far as we are concerned the BIGGER the BETTER!! Converted sheds are great!

Rabbit Hutches (L x W x H)

For a pair of SMALL rabbits (Netherland Dwarfs ONLY). Hutch - 10 sq ft & 2ft high /0.9 sq m & 60cm high (i.e. 5ft x 2ft x 2ft Single Storey) .

For a pair of MEDIUM rabbits. Hutch - 16 sq ft & 2 ft high / 1.44 sq m & 60cm high (i.e. 6ft x3 ft x 2ft Single Storey or 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Double Storey).

For a pair of LARGE rabbits. Hutch - 18 sq ft & 2 ft high / 1.65 sq m & 60cm high (i.e. 6ft x 3ft x 2ft Single Storey or 5ft x 2ft x 2ft Double Storey (20 sq ft)).

abbymarysmokey
16-09-2009, 10:05 AM
POSTED FROM AN RSPCA WEBSITE (so the Trixie 2 storey accoring to them is perfectly ok for 2 medium rabbits)

Hutches and Runs

The RSPCA has been campaigning for a better standard of living for small animals.

Hutches and runs are the most important part of this. We have guidelines regarding rabbit and guinea pig accommodation.

As far as we are concerned the BIGGER the BETTER!! Converted sheds are great!

Rabbit Hutches (L x W x H)

For a pair of SMALL rabbits (Netherland Dwarfs ONLY). Hutch - 10 sq ft & 2ft high /0.9 sq m & 60cm high (i.e. 5ft x 2ft x 2ft Single Storey) .

For a pair of MEDIUM rabbits. Hutch - 16 sq ft & 2 ft high / 1.44 sq m & 60cm high (i.e. 6ft x3 ft x 2ft Single Storey or 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Double Storey).

For a pair of LARGE rabbits. Hutch - 18 sq ft & 2 ft high / 1.65 sq m & 60cm high (i.e. 6ft x 3ft x 2ft Single Storey or 5ft x 2ft x 2ft Double Storey (20 sq ft)).

If you use your hutch as 2 seprate hutches, then it doesn't meet RSPCA guidelines. The guideline I've highlighted above implies that the rabbit have permanent access to BOTH levels. The way the OP is using the hutch is as a single level hutch

*Spider*
16-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Please have a look at people's accomodation on here and maybe you will find something more suitable to house your rabbits in.
In your last post it seemed as if you said that you used the top tier as the hutch and the bottom as the run... :?
Honestly, I would never house a rabbit in anything less than 6ftx4ft with ATTACHED 10ftx6ft run.
It is SO evident that rabbits enjoy larger spaces to run around and binky in.
Before I found the forum, like yourself I kept my rabbit in a small inadequate hutch.
I quickly learnt and now they live in a 12ft x 6ft enclosure and this space is soon to be vastly increased!
If your rabbits truly do have the run of the garden then I'd still suggest finding something larger for a base, as after all we're not home all the time to supervise.
How many rabbits have you housed in your hutch?

Santa
16-09-2009, 10:10 AM
some of the statements relating to how it isn't natural showing rabbits etc etc, i am pretty sure it isn't natural housing rabbits in hutches or having rabbits in houses. But we do.

Quite right of course but I don't think there is any substance in the argument - one is a necessity, the other is not. Rabbits have to live somewhere, and hutches (suitably sized and with sufficient exercise) can accommodate the rabbit's needs. Showing does nothing to accommodate a rabbit's needs, in fact it does the exact opposite.

I do take your point on the trixie hutch, and some rescues will happily accept a double 4ft hutch for two small-medium rabbits. However, this is in addition to at least 4 hours exercise per day (the bottom part of the hutch is not big enough to constitute a 'run') and using one of these as two single hutches means that they are not big enough for the rabbit's welfare. I think the danger with hutches like this is that they do end up being used as two single 4ft hutches, or people perceive the bottom as a 'run' and do not provide additional exercise space for at least 4 hours per day. My personal preference is for a hutch/shed etc with run permanently attached. That way the rabbits can exercise as they wish, don't have the stress of being chased/picked up to go from hutch to exercise area, and are guaranteed exercise even on days when it is raining/owner is ill etc.

Personally I'm not a big fan of multi-tier hutches - the hole and ramp area reduce the effective space that the rabbit has to hop, stretch and lie in, and the hole in the floor means that it's not possible to make it as 'cosy' in winter as there will always be a draft coming up. It also increases the risk of accident/injury.

Rachel89
16-09-2009, 11:42 AM
I did say that they are normally not used as two seperate ones. The ramp is normally down, in this case Honey doesn't like change and Blue can be bonded. So we have put them seperated to get use to smells.

As for not loving my bunnies, you could not be more wrong, my rabbits gtet 100% love,care,attention. Like I have said they come out from 7am and go back at 9pm so there not left in "tiny boxes" all day.

As for one person on this thread, hundreds of rabbits in one house all cramped together, get off your high horse :roll:
Go look at my monday afternoon thread for unhappy bunnys as a few of you commented on it saying that he looked like such a happy bunny :lol: pot kettle black :roll:

Jack's-Jane
16-09-2009, 11:55 AM
I did say that they are normally not used as two seperate ones. The ramp is normally down, in this case Honey doesn't like change and Blue can be bonded. So we have put them seperated to get use to smells.

As for not loving my bunnies, you could not be more wrong, my rabbits gtet 100% love,care,attention. Like I have said they come out from 7am and go back at 9pm so there not left in "tiny boxes" all day.

As for one person on this thread, hundreds of rabbits in one house all cramped together, get off your high horse :roll:
Go look at my monday afternoon thread for unhappy bunnys as a few of you commented on it saying that he looked like such a happy bunny :lol: pot kettle black :roll:

:roll:

Milo+Fizz
16-09-2009, 11:58 AM
:roll:

Jane you look after your bunnies and think of nothing but their needs. Their homes are fine. Enough said!!

Milo+Fizz
16-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Jane you look after your bunnies and think of nothing but their needs. Their homes are fine. Enough said!!

ETA: You said no more bunnies, how did you get hundreds :lol: :lol:

*Spider*
16-09-2009, 11:59 AM

What are you even doing here?
For ****'s sake, you have just INSULTED one of our mostvaluable members.
How DARE you speak to her like that.
Her rabbits have far more room than your rabbits do so if you really do love your rabbits as much as you claim why don't you STOP BREEDING, GIVE THEM BIGGER ACCOMODATION.
Anyone with half a brain cell would do so. :censored: