• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch size legalities

Rhian33

Warren Veteran
Anyone know if there is a legal minimum size that shops and online stores have to adhere to in order to market their hutches as "rabbit hutches"? I have found a disgustingly small 30" (2.5 feet) hutch online and I would like to get my facts right before complaining.

We all wish it was clearer. It is really frustrating when you go to do a homecheck and they proudly show you their new hutch! Which is like tiny! AAGGHH:censored:

We all wish it was clearer. It is really frustrating when you go to do a homecheck and they proudly show you their new hutch! Which is like tiny! AAGGHH:censored:

Definitely. There really should be som esort of guidelines but still I think common sense would prevail when you put a rabbit in a 30 inch hutch surely.

It IS frustrating there are no laws. Maybe try quoting the RWA requirements at them. Not a law, obviously, but guidelines for responsible rabbit care.

I'd be inclined to argue that under trading standards legislation it is not fit for its intended purpose if used as a rabbit hutch. I would cite the RWA and RSPCA standards (RSPCA I think say 3-4 hops and able to stand up and stretch) and say that even the smallest rabbit wouldn't be able to do that. Maybe also see if you can find an RSPCA prosecution where rabbits were kept in hutches of a similar size - that way you can prove that a court of law has deemed it inappropriate.

I'd be inclined to argue that under trading standards legislation it is not fit for its intended purpose if used as a rabbit hutch. I would cite the RWA and RSPCA standards (RSPCA I think say 3-4 hops and able to stand up and stretch) and say that even the smallest rabbit wouldn't be able to do that. Maybe also see if you can find an RSPCA prosecution where rabbits were kept in hutches of a similar size - that way you can prove that a court of law has deemed it inappropriate.

Thanks. Will definitely look into it. Would be great if I can find some photos of a hutch of that size with an average sized bunny in it.

Back