• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Snuffles? Or allergic to hay?

natandfluffs

Alpha Buck
The lady Pippin has a wet/slightly snotty nose; first noticed it yesterday.
She has just allowed me to wipe her nose in exchange for a blackberry; and it seems like its just wet really, not mucous-y and clear. Her front paws are dry, so no sign that she is constantly cleaning it. I heard her sneeze a couple of times on Saturday. She seems fine in herself.

When I have had buns with pasturella in the past the discharge has been thicker and slightly yellow with relatively frequent sneezing. Because of this I'm not too worried about Pip (for now); which is why I am here rather than at the vet's...

I introduced farm hay last weekend; could it be that that is causing it (though she loves it and has her head permenantly buried in a pile). Or could it be early snuffles?

don't really have any advice for hun only sometimes pastruella can show up differently from one bun to another, i think your vet will be able to clarify if it is pastruella or not. hope it's not hun.

Me too... will see how she is as the day progresses. I would normally be quicker off the mark in getting to vets, but in addition to Pip being otherwise well, I am sat at home with flu (and hoping its not swine flu... )

Sorry to hear you have flu :(

I would think that if there was enough discharge to 'wipe away' then this is possibly more than the normal amount and if she is slightly 'snotty' this could be more indicative of an infective agent rather than just an allergy. I would have a vet confirm one way or the other. Not all infective agents in the nasal passages or other UR passages are pasturella bacteria, there can be many possible pathogens which may present differently.

Keeping an eye on whether any reappears (it was only the tiniest little bit had to look hard for it on the tissue) and will get my long suffering mum to do a vet run for me if need be!!

Thanks for the well wishes for both of us!

I would think about having a swab done to see if there are any pathogens present. A friend's bunny had similar symptoms recently and a swab revealed profuse pseudomonas (there are lots of as prettylupin said)

What is a profuse pseudomona?

Will bear it in mind. Just had a look again and it is beautifully dry and clean. She has been asleep rather than at the hay. Is now well stuck in to the hay again, so will try and record it to see whether there is a relationship.

What is a profuse pseudomona?

Will bear it in mind. Just had a look again and it is beautifully dry and clean. She has been asleep rather than at the hay. Is now well stuck in to the hay again, so will try and record it to see whether there is a relationship.

Pseudomonas are one of a group of opportunistic bacteria that can inhabit the nasal cavities and sometimes cause illness :)
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sneezing.html

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/culture.html

Last edited:
I'm just wondering that if it has dried up completely now....and doesn't happen again....then it could be that he had a foreign object up there - piece of hay and he sneezed it out that one sneeze you heard...it caused a little inflammation and now the object has gone it may clear up completely. If it doesn't and/or gets worse then I would suggest you take Lilbun's advice re. swab perhaps? Although I understand getting one from high enough can be quite difficult to do.

Foreign objects might be an idea; clear again today. But will bear pseudonomas in mind too for next time.

Pippin would like to say:

thank you for helping my Mummy... Today my nose is beautifully clean again!!

She gets very worried about me sometimes because I'm the littlest (and very very important) and to be honest I think because she had a runny nose too she wanted to be the same as me because I am wonderful. I double made sure she knew I was ok by running round the garden and eating all her plantsies :)

Foreign objects might be an idea; clear again today. But will bear pseudonomas in mind too for next time.

Pippin would like to say:

thank you for helping my Mummy... Today my nose is beautifully clean again!!

She gets very worried about me sometimes because I'm the littlest (and very very important) and to be honest I think because she had a runny nose too she wanted to be the same as me because I am wonderful. I double made sure she knew I was ok by running round the garden and eating all her plantsies :)

Good to hear :D

Back