• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding "Just Grass"?

I want to give the buns something extra over the winter, as last year Pipin seemed to loose a lot of condition in the cold months, but, I can't up her pellets because she produces too many ceacals, and too many pellets really upsets Bramleys tummy.

This is what I'm thinking of giving them, I was thinking about mixing it with the hay, just to boost them up a bit more. I can't really afford any Readigrass at the moment, but this stuff seems similar, and they have it at the local Farmway shop, so I wouldn't have to pay postage for it.

Any thoughts on it?

Hi
I have used Just Grass before and they did like it, it is thinner and sharper than readigrass as its like 2" long and made of the thin type of grass (this is quite hard to describe!) so it is sort of a bit spiky. I think they like the ready grass more, have you asked the shop if they could get that for you?
Jessy

It is a shame you dont live nearer to me I buy in the Huge sacks of ready grass and share it with a couple of people for like £2 for a carrierbag stuffed full. Works out cheap all round, some one round you may do the same thing.

Agree that it's not quite the same as Readigrass (even though it's still just freeze dried grass). The bits are smaller and softer than Readigrass and my buns didn't really like it. But then they only really go mad for the stalky hay too so that's probably just my fussy lot!!!!

But it's certainly worth giving it a go as it is essentially the same stuff. You can buy a big bale of Readigrass from the horse feed merchants you know - it's much, much cheaper buying it that way than in the small 2kg bags.

None of mine like Just Grass as the bits are shorter and it is often more dusty, and just seems to disappear down into the bedding. You can buy both Readigrass (made by Spillers) and Just Grass in big plastic bags that weigh about 15kg, I pay £11 for a big bale of readigrass, so much cheaper than buying it in the small bags! as long as you have somewhere dry to sore it it would last you ages! A horse feed merchant/farm supplies is your best bet for the bigger bales.

Tried it, and they won't even look at it. Last time I put it in their litter tray, they protested by pooing all over their run. :roll:

Back