• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rotherham Show

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
This afternoon my friend and I (and Sweep my friends old dog) went to the Rotherham show.

There was a falconry display (we didn't watch it) but we saw this...

FalcDispaly1.jpg

FalcDispaly2.jpg

The birds are tethered to the perches although they can hop off. In the baths by each bird peopel throw coins.

The birds are all sat there very calmly, none of the are wearing hoods.

I felt quite distressed by it, it just didn't seem right to me. I went over to the man and women who run it and spoke to the woman. She said all the birds had been born in captivity and were not stressed out by being there and they didn't appear to be, She also said back home the spend the day on their perches outside but also free fly everyday too. I told her that it made me feel quite distressed and that I didn't like that peolpe could throw money so near the birds either. The woman was very nice but didn't seem to understand my concerns.

Me and Sweep (I'm the one in the red :lol:)

RotherhamShow2.jpg

Raabswood

Shame I missed this, never even knew it was on :(. Must admit those pics of the birds, I think I would have found seeing them distressing too - what if someone had hit them with one of the coins?

I've never seen birds all out on display in such a way before. Looked spookily un-natural.

Rabs

Back