• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Throwing head back when eating

Mrs P

New Kit
Hi, I have a rescue bun who had an op to have the spurs on his molars trimmed on 18th June 09. About 10 days ago he stopped eating, took him to the vet who examined him and assured me his teeth were fine but had some sores on his cheeks. He had baytril, an injection to stimulate his gut and we were syringe feeding him some green liquid feed (which he hated!!). He was quite poorly and thought we were going to lose him but he surprised us all by bouncing back and eating normally.

Today we noticed that he is taking ages to eat even the tiniest bit of food while throwing his head back almost as if to push the food back. Now I'm taking him back to the vets tomorrow as I suspect its his teeth (even though the vet said it wasnt although this was a locum vet and not my usual). Just wondered if this is a symptom of something else, has anyone else had their bun do this?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Sarah & Bunsen x

Hi,

It sounds to be like teeth as that's what my buns have done when their molars had spurs. The last ones that my bun had removed were not visible until he was under anaesthetic. They were very fine and at the back of his mouth.

It does sound like he has his spurs back - they can regrow in a matter of weeks and they're certainly not always visible just by looking. He definitely needs to see a more rabbit savy vet tomorrow - hoping it goes well for you and him.

Well, went to the vets tonight and luckily saw my usual vet. Tried to examine him but Bunsen was having none of it! My vet said he's a rabbit with 'character'!
He's going in tomorrow to be sedated so they can examine him properly and if his teeth need doing then they'll give him a GA. Vet said he has lost a bit of weight so Im looking forward to feeding him all his favourite foods once his teeth are sorted. Will let you know how he gets on xxx

This also happened to one of mine when she got a piece of straw lodged in her jaw/tooth root so it was partially blocking her mouth.

Hi,

How is Bunsen doing today?

Hi Wilbur, I picked Bunsen up from the vets tonight, they gave him a GA in the end as he had a couple of spurs growing and one was quite bad-given him a nasty wound on his Tongue. They've got rid of the spurs and he's had an injection to stimulate his gut and also painkillers. He was a bit subdued when I picked him up so I tucked him up in his hutch and he managed to eat some apple and brocolli so Im glad he's eaten something. Just hope he poops as he didn't last night, vet said if he doesn't poop then I need to take him back for another injection to stimulate his gut.
One thing the vet did say was that he drank a lot of water today, he has been drinking more the last few weeks but didn't think anything of it. Is this anything to worry about?
Thanks,
Sarah & Bunsen xxx

Hi Wilbur, I picked Bunsen up from the vets tonight, they gave him a GA in the end as he had a couple of spurs growing and one was quite bad-given him a nasty wound on his Tongue. They've got rid of the spurs and he's had an injection to stimulate his gut and also painkillers. He was a bit subdued when I picked him up so I tucked him up in his hutch and he managed to eat some apple and brocolli so Im glad he's eaten something. Just hope he poops as he didn't last night, vet said if he doesn't poop then I need to take him back for another injection to stimulate his gut.
One thing the vet did say was that he drank a lot of water today, he has been drinking more the last few weeks but didn't think anything of it. Is this anything to worry about?
Thanks,
Sarah & Bunsen xxx

He may have just been thirsty and dehydrated post-op. As a side effect of not eating - buns often get very dehydrated in their guts (no droppings as you witnessed) and then when they do feel better (and if they don't - then fluids given by the vet or you orally is a good idea) they will start to drink loads to replace what is needed - it rehydrates the guts - gets them moving.

It could be that whilst his mouth was so sore with that spur that drinking soothed the pain. However, a continued increase in drinking after recovery and especially if associated with excess urination could point to a UTI or kidney problem. He may have picked up an infection whilst run down with his spurs....or it may be something else.
If he is still drinking excessively AND his poos are normal now then you might want to get it checked out. If he's still not passing droppings, or they are small and hard it could be that he is still replacing lost fluids in the gut. Any concerns then I would talk to the vet about it. Glad he feels better after his dental anyway. Hope he is still making progress and doing some droppings :)

Thanks Prettylupin. I'm pleased to say that Bunsen has pooped over night and eaten most of the food I left for him last night so I'm really pleased! He was really keen to get out in his run this morning so I have let him out seeing as he was cooped up at the vets all day yesterday and in his hutch overnight.

Will monitor his drinking though, as you say it may be because of his sore mouth or because he wasnt eating much but if he's still doing it then I'll take him back to the vets to get it checked out.

Thanks everyone for all your advice and good wishes

Sarah & Bunsen xxx

Hi,

Glad to hear Bunsen is doing so well. When Tom had a molar problem a few months ago one of the things I noticed was a lot of drinking and it was Jacks-Jane on here who suggested it was teeth. I had thought it might be but his symptoms were very different to the buns I had previously.

Hopefully his drinking will return to normal in a few days, Tom's did.

Tom had his done early May and he still seems fine. I have cut down his pellets to make sure he eats more hay.

Best wishes to Bunsen and you.

Thank you Wilbur - his drinking has decreased now so it must have been because of his poorly teeth so at least that means theres nothing more serious going on. Bunsen is still doing well, eating like there's no tomorrow so he must be making up for lost time!!

The vet said he does need to eat more hay so I might cut his pellets down to see if he will eat more hay.

Sarah & Bunsen x

Back