• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help? Watering bunny eye.

casu consulto

Mama Doe
I tried this the other day and got no response. :( So pleeeease could someone at least offer me their opinion?

My lionhead cross doe, who is now about two years old, has developed a slightly watery left eye over the past few days. When I first noticed, I assumed she had brushed against her water bottle, as the next day the slightly spiked look to the fur in the corner of her eye nearest her nose had gone back to normal. It's watering only the smallest bit, but obviously it shouldn't be watering at all... It watered a little again a few days after this, and again last night. It always waters at the same time of day? :? Always early evening. And it waters clear fluid...

She's going to the vets tomorrow, hopefully. She appears in no discomfort whilst eating, though from what I've read I'm really fearing some sort of tooth root issue pushing onto her tear duct on the left side. Her appetite is excellent at the moment for any food, be it grass, hay, pellets or veg. The eye itself is not irritated, red or inflamed. The other eye in uneffected.

Are there any other possible causes of a runny eye? I'm terrified of having a dental bun due to losing my first bunny to dental issues. I've always felt, had I known more, I'd have been able to help her more (this was ten years ago now), and it feels a bit like someone with a twisted sense of humour up there has gone 'Alright, let's see how you do with this...'

And if it IS dental related, I'm totally stumped. She's always had a diet of mostly hay/grass.

As you said, there is the possibility of it being her teeth.

My dental bun went to the vets when she was about 7 months old, as her eye was watering too. She seemed fine in herself, ate the same, had lots of energy and cuddled up etc, so i wondered if it was somthing simple like dust getting into her eyes. The vets looked at her teeth straught away and he said they were in a REALLY bad way (her back teeth, her front ones were fine, and i always check them, but have no way of checking her back teeth). I felt so bad that she'd got into that state, but obviously as she was acting the same and i couldnt see them, i had no reason to suspect. Luckily i can now tell the very small signs of her teeth, so she gets done before anything major.

Im sure it could be a million and ones things though, so it may not be this at all, so try not worry until tomorrow. I would advise getting her checked out, and make sure they check all her teeth.

As for you suspecting her being dental- it could maybe be genetic if she has a good appetitie for hay! Her teeth may be misaligned, or she may have knocked them out of alignment (which my vet said can occur). It doesnt make sense otherwise if it is her teeth.

Try not worry if its her teeth, as you said it was 10 years ago with your last dental bun, so much has changed since then, my buns over 7 and still going fine with the ops, and vets tend to know more about rabbits now than they previously did! If it turns out she is a dental bun, me and im sure plenty of people on here can give you advise on what the vets should be doing/what you can do to help her recover the ops etc. Good luck tomorrow!

Hi, Try not to worry too much until you have seen the vet. It could be an infection which is sorted by eye drops.

If it does turn out to be teeth then I would advise you to get a skull X-ray so you can see the full extent of any potential problems.

Just to reassure you though, I too had a dental bunny 6 years ago and lost him because vets just kept telling me it was conjunctivitus. I didn't have RU to refer to and knew no better.

Anyway, we got another partner for our remaining bunny and 2 years ago he became a dental bunny, I was distraught when I found out. I now have an excellent bunny savvvy vet and we keep his teeth in "control" now with regular dentals - we don't wait for a problem to occur -and he is a very happy bunny (he won't eat hay though which is the problem).

Thank you. ^_^ I know it sounds silly, but it helps to have other bunny-mummy people on hand as reassurance! I'm pretty sure my family are just looking at me and thinking I'm over-reacting or panicking (I DO have a tendency to panic, but still!)

She's had her teeth checked every six months when she has her myxi vaccine, and it's always been a case of there being nothing of conern seen. But if it was the tooth roots, then I suppose it might not show too obviously on the visible parts of the teeth. Eeep.

She's just such a skitterbug, she hates leaving the safety of her home, especially to the vets!

As others have said, there are lots of possibly causes. Hopefully the vet will be able to figure out which one and fix it for you :)
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-8/eye-problems.html

Thanks for the link! :) I'll get right onto reading that...!
I'm intending to go to the vets fully knowledgable!

The thing with my vets is that they tend to keep a vet for a year or two, before moving them on elsewhere... Meaning every couple of years I get a new vet. This is fine in so much as vaccinations, which is all my bunnies have ever needed (except for the odd bout of stasis), but I'm so wary of there being a new vet who isn't bunny savvy at all. I KNOW where a vets is that has a recommended bunny-savvy vet, so if she needed any treatment my local vets could not provide I'd get her there... But transport would be tricksy. I'd do it, but I'm not looking forward to the stress if that happens.

*trots off to read*

My lop Rosie had the exact same thing last week, same watery discharge, in the same eye too. Took her to the vet Weds and he gave her eye drops, but warned us we may have to take her back next week to get her eye 'flushed out' or something. However I'm pleased to report that the eyedropss seem to have worked a treat, and she's not even that fussed about taking them - this morning she was grooming my hand whilst I was trying to give them to her :love: I'm in a terrible panic whenever my buns are ill, and yes it's tough to get non-bunny lovers to understand, but I'm sure she'll be fine and the vets will get her sorted out.

Thank you. ^_^ I know it sounds silly, but it helps to have other bunny-mummy people on hand as reassurance! I'm pretty sure my family are just looking at me and thinking I'm over-reacting or panicking (I DO have a tendency to panic, but still!)

She's had her teeth checked every six months when she has her myxi vaccine, and it's always been a case of there being nothing of conern seen. But if it was the tooth roots, then I suppose it might not show too obviously on the visible parts of the teeth. Eeep.

She's just such a skitterbug, she hates leaving the safety of her home, especially to the vets!
I panic too :roll: I think it is better to panic than not care.

Please make sure that they do a thorough check on the teeth as I kept asking if Homer's sticky bum was anything to do with teeth and I kept getting told no - low and behold his poops have improved since we found out about his teeth problem (he was not chewing food properly and therefore digestion was not brilliant).

Hopefully it will be as simple as an infection - please note that whenever Homer has had a runny eye it has been an infection and NOT to do with teeth. His teeth problems are not shown until he starts throwing himself round! We don't let it get to that now we know what we are dealing with.

Oooh, believe me, they're doing a thorough tooth examination. :lol: Even if it's an infection, I'll be wanting the assurance her teeth are okay...! She'll get herself all worked up, hyper-ventilate and throw herself off the table if she can, but her teethies shall be looked at, if only to rule them out as the cause!

This evening her eye has barely watered at all. :?

My vets think I'm crazy anyway. :) They know me as 'the one with all the rabbits' (I've only got five...! :oops: ) and I performed some sort of inquisition on the poor vet when my Bella-bun needed spaying, making the poor man look all alarmed, so I guess they won't be too shocked if I stand there requesting detailed checks and stuff. Tehe~

My vets think I'm crazy anyway. :) They know me as 'the one with all the rabbits' (I've only got five...! :oops: )

Haha, I get recognised in my vets too. I went in the other day and was told 'oh you're the one with so-and-so' I was like 'no i'm not, I have Mini today!'. Turns out it was another person's rabbit, they just assumed it was mine cos I have 'so many'. I only have three! Well I had three then, now I have four. I can't wait to see the looks on the receptionist's face this time. :lol:

Anyway, I hope her eye clears up. Mischa had a run of watery eyes and nose a while back. We think it was the hay we were giving them, as it cleared up when we changed.

New to this site!!! Got questions...

I was wondering where I post a question regarding my rabbit. I just joined this site. Maybe I am in the right area. LOL... I'm going to post my questions here, but if anyone could direct me where to post new questions, that would be wonderful!
My rabbit's name is Floppy. She is a Lop-eared bunny. She is about 9 months old and her birthday is on Easter.
Anyway, She has a teary left eye for the first thing and she turns her head away when I try to pet that side of her face. Everything I've read on here is making me think it may be a tooth issue, but around the rims of her eye lids are pinker than her right eye, so a possible eye infection.
My next issue with her is that I've been seeing some thick white gooey stuff on top of her feces(she goes in a litter box which makes that easy to see). This has been going on for a pretty long time. Is this something no9rmal for a female rabbit? What is it? Also, she likes to lay on a little baby blanket rather than the straw and bedding in her cage. Over the past few days I been noticing a pinkish or like bloody urine maybe and also a very little of that white stuff on some small areas on the blanket. Her appetite was down for about 3 days but is back now and she wasn't going to the bathroom as much either over the last few days. She is not acting (personality-wise) any differently. I am a bit concerned about these issues. I cant afford to take her to the vet though. My company did 100 layoffs and unfortunately I was one of them. I am a single parent of three children. I really don't want to mention any of this to them and have them upset.
Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to what could be wrong or what I can do? I am from Manheim, PA...does anyone know of any places that could help our rabbit at a very low cost, because I really am struggling right now? I don't want my children's only pet to die, because I couldn't afford the vet bill. Please!!!... Any suggestions will help and be greatly appreciated!!!
Thank you...
From,
Sheena, Gage, Jayden, Brooke, and Floppy:wave:

Back