• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digging in poo box

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Every morning I wake up and go in the bunnies room and they have dug in their poo box strewing the floor of their enclosure with hay, wooden pellet cat litter and poos.

I can't change it right now as I'm out of cat litter and am waiting for a delivery of megazorb which we are changing over to. I suppose I could use some shredded paper. I'm thinking of finding a cardboard box and cutting a portion out and filling it with hay for them to dig into.

Any other ideas?

My rabbit likes to dig on one of those grass mats you can buy in the pet shops. She also seems to like to dig at the towel i put on the floor of her dog crate. My litter tray just has newspaper and a little bit of hay in. She doesn't dig in there. I made her a box wth hay in but she just weed in it! But it would still be worth a try :)

Mine have a deep litter tray with hay in which they seem to be pooing in a little. I was just wondering if I used a cardboard box with a bit cut out and some niceties underneath then they can maybe dig a bit more. I can't think what they can be looking for in the poo box!!

I gave them a towel to dig at and move around last night and there was a lot less mess this morning. They'd foraged around in the hay but hadn't dug down to the litter stuff at the bottom.

That sounds promising :) One of the towels now has lots of holes in it!! also, i don't put too much hay in the litter tray, maybe this might help too?

Yes I tend to top it up during the day so it is entirely possible I'm putting too much in! As for the towels they have their own supply of old towels so it's all good. :lol: They actually are pretty good and only chew on them when they are bored or on the way to the vets. :lol:

I have noted that Mischa is the culprit and he's started again and in a BIG way this time. I've noted that he mainly does it in the mornings. Yesterday I changed it in the morning and five minutes after I put it down he was turfing it all out again. I've bought a deeper litter box which seems to be keeping a lot more inside the box. I had also started putting paper at the bottom but that just seems to make it worse as he seems intent on getting the paper from the bottom of the box to the top so I put a yellow pages in for him to bite and play with. Ha! He ignores the yellow pages and still chews the paper.

Next I'm going to try without paper again and see what happens. I hope he isn't unhappy with the Megazorb. I'm also going to get some off cuts of carpet in case he's after something soft to lie on, although a few days after putting the towel in they all shunned it and it was left forlorn in the corner.

Oh sorry to bump this again but he's still at it.

I've tried leaving it longer between changes which has helped but whenever I freshly change it he starts again. Right now there is currently more OUT of the tray than there is IN. He's been at it so much he's worn himself out and is now lain down next to it breathing heavily.

Anyone? I had an attack last night after he dug in it and could barely breathe :cry: We're gonna have to go back to cat litter type pellets, at least if he digs in there it shouldn't leave me coughing and wheezing.

I'm wondering if i's affecting him too and that's why he digs. :? But he used to dig in it when I used the pellet litter too. :?

Barley digs the litter tray when there are alot of poos in there.Dont think she likes the feel of them on her bum!!:lol:

Lola does this when she's angry, if I say no to giving her a treat. She looks at me, gets in her litter tray pushing all the contents out, then goes over to her hay rack; doesn't eat the hay but pulls it out and puts it all over the floor for mummy to clean up. :)..sulky bunny!!

Lola does this when she's angry, if I say no to giving her a treat. She looks at me, gets in her litter tray pushing all the contents out, then goes over to her hay rack; doesn't eat the hay but pulls it out and puts it all over the floor for mummy to clean up. :)..sulky bunny!!

Yes this! This is what he is doing in his poo box. He wants something from me but I can't figure out for the life of me what it is. Tomorrow I shall be cleaning out the box and going back to the pelleted stuff (for my own sake). :?

treats, hugs, nose rub? :p.. lola does it after a treat and i say 'no more!'..
Max and brian won't use litter-trays so i have no problem really...well max will use Lola's litter tray but not his own! grr :evil:.. Lenny is as good as gold with his and so Jemimah! Just naughty Lola-chops.

I gave him a cuddle when he did it today and a brush. He seems to have stopped. Maybe he's jealous of the others because he gets less mummy loving now.

One other thing, it couldn't be a symptom of problems weeing could it? I might keep an extra special eye on him and make sure I have a look at what hes done when he's on there.

Back