• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick question

Doddy

Alpha Buck
I know a woman who has been breeding rabbits...she has 2 buns give birth in the last week or so.
So she now has 13 babies.

My question is....she describes 1 set of babies as giant lops. SHould these be treated as if they are giants, or cuz they are lops, are they are different type of bun altogether?

Another friend of mine is looking to get a rabbit and has expressed an interest in these "giant lops". The hutch she has been looking at getting is the Poppy Den from p@h. I feel this is too small even for a normal bun.

I am getting very passionate now about buns, and I cant bear to watch these people buy hutches that are too small, and take on a bun that they don't really know how to give them the best.

I wish there was more i could do!

Hi i dont know much about the giant breeds of rabbits, but from what ive read on this forum giant bunnies are better of in a shed as opposed to a hutch. Although depending on size a 6x2x2 hutch with a 6x4 run attached may be big enough. Maybe you could explain to your friend about the hutch not being big enough as the minimum size hutch for average size rabbits recommended by the RSPCA is 6x2x2. If they are serious about keeping buns then hopefully they do their research and find out this info on their own aswell as from you. Good luck.
Just reread your post! If your friend has never owned a rabbit before a large breed may not be the best to get first. I may be wrong and hopefully someone will correct me, but some large breeds can get massive, also if they are interested their are thousands of bunnies needing a good forever home in rescues. :)

Last edited:
hi just googled french lop and loads of info and pics came up, might be useful but dont know how to post links im afraid! :)

As a frenchie mum, I would definately say that they are best suited to being a house bunny or being kept in a shed or playhouse with a run attached.
They are a very large bun, and as a result, a lot of them aren't happy at being picked up.
There are plenty in rescue though...so maybe point her in that direction rather than getting from a breeder. If she gets an older bunny first she will be able to judge their temperment and they will be neutered and vacced and also possibly be litter trained which takes a lot out of the expence and time of getting a baby bun.

I have tried to point her in the direction of rescues, but like a lot of people, she wants a baby, and she wants it now. Not prepared to do research, and look into what looking aftera rabbit really entails.
Not prepared to listen to ideal sizes etc, just wants a pet for the kids.

To make things harder, she is the sort of woman that won't listen and always knows best.

I don't know how to get my points across to her...but yet I can't sit by and just watch her make mistakes

Back