• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lump/growth found - Advice please!

Wigs

Warren Scout
I have just noticed a lump/growth on my bun's side, by her rib cage. I do not know how best to describe this, but if I run my hand down her right side with a little pressure, I am able to feel all of her ribs, on the left side there is an area that seems to be raised and I cannot feel any of her ribs in this area (the size is maybe a couple of ribs wide... if that makes sense?).

I am about to call the emergency vets to see if they know what this could be, and whether I need to take her in urgently. But was wondering if anyone has any ideas what this might be? I am getting pretty freaked out/worried about this!

Bun seems absolutely fine in herself, eating/pooing etc normally, seems quite happy (other than a little put out by the fact that I have been poking at her for the past 15 minutes). But I have been away throughout the day today (got back at 8ish) so do not know how she has been behaving for the rest of the day.

Would appreciate any replies! Sorry if this is a bit rambly/nonsensical!

I have just noticed a lump/growth on my bun's side, by her rib cage. I do not know how best to describe this, but if I run my hand down her right side with a little pressure, I am able to feel all of her ribs, on the left side there is an area that seems to be raised and I cannot feel any of her ribs in this area (the size is maybe a couple of ribs wide... if that makes sense?).

I am about to call the emergency vets to see if they know what this could be, and whether I need to take her in urgently. But was wondering if anyone has any ideas what this might be? I am getting pretty freaked out/worried about this!

Bun seems absolutely fine in herself, eating/pooing etc normally, seems quite happy (other than a little put out by the fact that I have been poking at her for the past 15 minutes). But I have been away throughout the day today (got back at 8ish) so do not know how she has been behaving for the rest of the day.

Would appreciate any replies! Sorry if this is a bit rambly/nonsensical!

As long as she's eating and pooing ok tonight I expect she'll be ok til the morning and I would pop her along to the vet then. I'm wondering if it could perhaps be a benign cyst, or something a bit more sinister, or even an abcess, but I would just let the vet rule things out one at a time without worrying yourself silly about it tonight. It could possibly be an enlarged liver I suppose....dependent on which side it is on? As long as she's doing ok in herself I think she'll be alright til the morning. Of course, any concerns then definitely give the emergency vet a call, even if just to put your mind at rest. To be honest, this may be the best action in the long run - they'll hopefully be able to make a better guess as to what is going on and how urgent treatment is. Good luck :)
Sorry my post a bit rambling too :( I hope everything works out. Why not just give them a call anyway and put your mind at rest. :)

Thanks so much for the quick replies.

Is the lump just below her last rib ?

The lump is definitely towards the end of her rib cage, seems to be in the are of the last one or two. Sorry - really don't know how to describe this very well!

I can only feel it when she is lying down - so is not protruding that much.

Thanks so much for the quick replies.

The lump is definitely towards the end of her rib cage, seems to be in the are of the last one or two. Sorry - really don't know how to describe this very well!

I can only feel it when she is lying down - so is not protruding that much.

Does it feel to be in the skin or below it ?

If the latter it *might* be an enlarged kidney

Is she spayed?

Just spoke to the Emergency Vet, who said that as long as she is eating and pooing ok, they would probably recommend waiting until Monday to see our normal vet.

The lady I spoke to said that unless it is looking aggressive or weeping, there may not be much that they could do anyway in terms of diagnosis anyway (found this statement a bit worrying), and that if the vet wanted to do a biopsy, that that would have to be done at the normal vets anyway... to be honest the phone call wasn't really that reassuring!

Guess I will wait until Monday and try and get an appointment first thing. Will keep a close eye on her in the meantime.

Should I be doing anything different in the meantime? e.g. keeping her indoors etc?

Does it feel to be in the skin or below it ?

If the latter it *might* be an enlarged kidney

Is she spayed?

Oops, didn't see this until I posted reply.

It is under the skin... but is definitely at the end of her ribcage, almost feels like it is between her ribs and her skin? Would this be too high up for a kidney?

Yep, she was spayed a few weeks ago.

I can't answer your last question - I simply am not familiar enough with rabbit anatomy, and I'm so sorry the vet wasn't very reassuring :oops::( I'm sorry :(
I think you are the best judge of the situation....if she's doing ok and seems unbothered then I too would wait to see your own vet. Emergency vets are limited often to 'emergency treatment' only such as pain relief, fluids etc...and intensive nursing. Your buns sounds to be ok at the mo. I would just monitor her as you are and hoping that all goes well for you at your vet on Monday....please let us know how you get on. Try not to worry, I know you must be but there's nothing really that you can do for now and she will sense you anxious so be brave :)
Thinking of you :)

I can't answer your last question - I simply am not familiar enough with rabbit anatomy, and I'm so sorry the vet wasn't very reassuring :oops::( I'm sorry :(
I think you are the best judge of the situation....if she's doing ok and seems unbothered then I too would wait to see your own vet. Emergency vets are limited often to 'emergency treatment' only such as pain relief, fluids etc...and intensive nursing. Your buns sounds to be ok at the mo. I would just monitor her as you are and hoping that all goes well for you at your vet on Monday....please let us know how you get on. Try not to worry, I know you must be but there's nothing really that you can do for now and she will sense you anxious so be brave :)
Thinking of you :)

Thank you :) To be honest I don't know what I expected the vet to say - I realise that there was no way they would have been able to give any more detailed information over the phone, there are just too many things to rule out/check etc.

Yep, I definitely just need to try and relax now - she does seem fine in herself, so will just keep my fingers crossed that I can get an early appointment on Monday. Of course to make things more difficult, the oh is away for the week with the car, so will have to sort out a taxi - typical :roll:.

Will keep you updated with any news.

Well, good news as today she has been perfectly fine - eating plenty, and running around like her usual naughty self. I checked throughout the day to see if there were any changes to the swelling, and it seems to have all but disappeared :)

Obviously this seems like a good thing and I'm incredibly relieved, but now I'm in a bit of a dilemma about what to do next.

I'm guessing if I take her to the vets and there is no discernible swelling, that they won't be able to tell me much? And as she seems perfectly fine in herself, I imagine that they would be reluctant to do anything more invasive than a thorough check over.

Needless to say, I will be keeping a close eye on her and if anything changes, she'll be going straight to the vet. In the meantime, I'd really appreciate any advice on whether or not to take her to the vet tomorrow anyway? Obviously it can't hurt, even if it ends up being a general health check, but I'm just not sure what they'll be able to do :?

I would take her to put your mind at rest. They are much more experienced than us owners at feeling things, and if they feel nothing then you will feel much better :)

Yep, to be honest, I'd pretty much decided to go anyway as soon as I hit submit on my last post! I guess if you have to ask the question, you know that it's better to go and be told it's nothing, than not and risk something not being caught early enough.

Thank you so much for your help - it really is very much appreciated :)

I guess if you have to ask the question, you know that it's better to go and be told it's nothing, than not and risk something not being caught early enough.

:thumb:

We all need reassurance from time to time. I knew you knew the answer already but it's always nice to hear someone else say it too. It won't do any harm - best to put your mind at rest. :)

Had the vets appointment this evening. The vet checked her over thoroughly and could not feel anything either - phew :)

He suggested that it may have been a bruised area that had swollen slightly, but didn't mention anything else. She does run around the house at a crazy speed, climbing on things and binkying like a maniac, so I would not be all that surprised if she has launched herself into something in the last week or so. Anyhoo, he told me to keep checking her regularly for the next week or so, and to bring her back in if it returned.

He also said that she seemed really healthy and was very well behaved (haha - as if!), so all in all very good news. She had done a couple of poos in her carrier and he commented on how healthy they looked (...is it wrong that I'm really pleased about that? :lol::lol:)

Anyway, she still seems fine in herself, so hopefully I have been worrying over nothing (as usual :oops:).

Had the vets appointment this evening. The vet checked her over thoroughly and could not feel anything either - phew :)

He suggested that it may have been a bruised area that had swollen slightly, but didn't mention anything else. She does run around the house at a crazy speed, climbing on things and binkying like a maniac, so I would not be all that surprised if she has launched herself into something in the last week or so. Anyhoo, he told me to keep checking her regularly for the next week or so, and to bring her back in if it returned.

He also said that she seemed really healthy and was very well behaved (haha - as if!), so all in all very good news. She had done a couple of poos in her carrier and he commented on how healthy they looked (...is it wrong that I'm really pleased about that? :lol::lol:)

Anyway, she still seems fine in herself, so hopefully I have been worrying over nothing (as usual :oops:).

Great news :D Alteast you have put your mind at rest for now.

Back