• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ok fess up......where did your first bun come from?

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
I know that nearly all of us have rescue buns but we all had to start our bunny obsession somewhere. So where did your first bun come from?

I'll start. Peter was my first bun and he came from a garden centre, totally an impulse buy.:oops::lol:

Your turn.

My first bun, Storm, came from a private breeder. Her small garden was a mass of rabbit hutches & runs all full of buns.

My first bun came from a pet shop. They had him in a 1' x 1' enclosure, and recommended me some great supplies. :roll:

But it sure made him a big fan of me when I gave him free run of the apartment! :D

My first bun as a child was from an advert in a newspaper I think. My second childhood bun was from a breedor.

My first bun as an adult was from p@h adoption. Had no intention of getting a rabbit but went in for fish food and fell in love with him.

My first ever bunny came from an elderly couple who thought I could give her more attention than they could so I suppose that almost means she was a rescue bunny!

My office car park!

Someone found him loose and everyone else either had cats/dogs/aversion to pets and I was the only one free to take him home. I rang the police, the RSPA (who never rang me back, grr) and put an ad in the paper but no-one claimed him, so I kept him :D

He was absolutely fabulous too, but sadly died about five weeks later (whilst I was on holiday and he was staying with my mum). I still feel guilt about that cos I know I knew hardly anything about rabbits, so god only knows what I missed out. BUT I remind myself I didnt know anything about his health or background so.... maybe it wasnt my fault... but he did seem happy and well...

I loved his mad sprints in the evening round my living room, jumping on my lap and springing off again. And lying in the sunny patch under the armchair, dozing or being fed dandelion leaves. And one evening chomping firstly thru one phone wire whilst I was on a call and, when I redialled using my spare phone, chomping thru that one too :lol:

On the plus side, I joined the British House Rabbit Association (as it was way back then) and finally made up my mind to get a rabbit. But it took about 10 years to be sure I was ready! It's one thing to have commitment thrust upon you, it's another to choose it.

My first bunnies were from a distant relative who was breeding rather large rabbits for their meat. That was almost 30 years ago. :shock: They were meant to be two boys, but turned out to be boy and girl, and we had 10 babies, none of which survived the first night. :( The boy was called Klopfer and was black with a little white spot on the nose, and the girl was called Buerschi and was a rather grumpy agouti.

Klopfer1.jpg

Brschi1.jpg

(that's my mother in that terrible yellow ski jacket :lol: )

discounting the one we had as kids as it was so long ago, I can't remember ;)

Totti was from Focus Do-It-All where I fell in love with him when I went to buy fish food.

Petsmart now Pets at Home.........................

*Hangs Head in Shame*................:oops:

I don't see why anybody should be shameful, after we go Benji we bought 2 girls to keep him company- after he was neutered, a first for our vet at the time. I'm pretty sure there were no rescues up here then ( nearly 15 years ago). At least all these rabbits ended up loved and cared for, what's bad about that.:D

My first was called Pisces, a 2yr old Angora doe from P@H adoption.
I renamed her Roxy and had to give her up after a week because she was sooooo viscious :( I still regret it to this day *hides the massive scar on my arm* :lol:

My first bun as an adult was from p@h adoption. Had no intention of getting a rabbit but went in for fish food and fell in love with him.

luvabun said:
discounting the one we had as kids as it was so long ago, I can't remember

Totti was from Focus Do-It-All where I fell in love with him when I went to buy fish food.

It's the fish food that does you in! Stay away, people! :lol:

A 'breeder' - who had never met me before, asked me NO questions and let me drive off with my new bunny in less than 5 minutes (after I'd handed her the cash of course:roll:)

Back