• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Totally Confused Now!

scatter

Alpha Buck
Hi, I've posted before about the best pellets to give my buns. They are both still on mixed food as I've been doing a bit of research.

I had finally decided that perhaps the Science Selective is very good, but then I see it's alfalfa based and I understand that they really shouldn't have too much of this?

Is Burgess Excel then a better option?

Please help - I'm really confused now:?

I have put mine on SS in an attempt to improve Snowdrops poo's. They both absolutely love the stuff! Snow hasnt had diahorrea in a week or two but her poos are still large and soft.

I would agree that Science Selective is better than Excel due to the higher fibre content and the fact that it doesn't seem to upset any tums. But Excel isn't a bad pellet - it's much, much better than a museli type mix it's just lots of people report that their buns produce too many poops on Excel and end up with dirty bums. So if your buns are only having a small amount of pellets as a treat and the bulk of their diet is hay and veggies, it shouldn't really matter what pellet you feed - as long as it suits them and they're healthy on it.

I think the calcium levels are only a consideration if your bun has sludgy wee?

Not sure on the content but it isn't a problem for healthy buns

I have used Pets at Home adult nuggets for years, with hay and veg,my rabbits don't know where the vets are :wave:

Sorry for hijacking this thread :oops:

Just need a bit of advice on what SS you woudl recomend.
Both my daughters buns are about 11-12 weeks old, so should they be on the Jnr version or just go for the rabbit option?

Here is the link to the types I mean.

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Foo...ective.135/?osCsid=6t0thncb9mo867f2i6n5cl7953

Cheers
Stuart

Juniour foods tend to be higher in protein and calories, plus smaller. I personally don't think junior foods are essential (in the wild rabbits are weaned onto the same food as adults, although the grass may tend to be richer at the time baby bunnies are about) However, some small/young rabbits will find the the smaller pellets easier to manage. I would probably buy a small bag, but look to gradually wean them onto adult food around 6 months of age.
Junior foods are also useful if an older bunny is struggling to maintain weight (although higher protein levels are not advisable if there are kidney problems)

Back