• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i need to get two girls neutered

tickles

Mama Doe
However my vets not keen on neutering females unless there is a reason ;).These girls are sisters and are just over a yr and are bonded togther how would the spay work would they need to be away from each other or would they be ok togther afterwards.

Tell the vet that the best reason possible is that uterine cancer claims around 80% of unneutered females, and if you want them to be able to live together neutering is necessary to reduce the risk of fighting etc due to hormones.
He doesn't sound very rabbit savvy?

definatly keep them together. send them in the same pet carrier too and make sure vets know that you want them to come round from anethetic and be straight back in pet carrier or cage then theres no risk of them not going back together.

my 2 5 month old sisters have just been done and they stayed together all the way through :wave:

I agree he doesn't sound very savvy. Have you tried looking for a more savvy vet?

I had two sisters done, they stayed together all the time and recovered together and were so compeltely super sweet.

Dopeys311.jpg

They got a lot of comfort from each other. I wrote a note, laminated it and attached it to the carrier about keeping them together and it went like a dream.

:?
I would question what is behind the vet's reluctance to neuter- does he have a poor success rate?
I would not be happy having a rabbit of mine neutered by someone who wasn't confident about doing it.
They only need to go through it once in their lifetime, so it is worth travelling to find a vet who is experienced, although bear in mind you will need to return for checkups xx

:?
I would question what is behind the vet's reluctance to neuter- does he have a poor success rate?
I would not be happy having a rabbit of mine neutered by someone who wasn't confident about doing it.
They only need to go through it once in their lifetime, so it is worth travelling to find a vet who is experienced, although bear in mind you will need to return for checkups xx

Definitely agree. Uterine cancer is more than a good reason for neutering. May be you could ask for recommendations withing travelling distance from you :wave: . I too would be inclined to say that if the vet knows nothing about the benefits they probably aren't very familiar with the procedure. There has been a similar thread recently and the lady in question just changed vets.

Back