• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Foot Abcess - any ideas?

Becky:)

Alpha Buck
I went to feed my French Lop Billy on Wed morning, there was a bloody foot print on the floor, I looked at his feet and discovered a lump on the side of his back foot. Took him to the vet and he has been put on Baytril, 1ml a day and vet said if its not half the size by monday they will surgically remove the abcess.

Does anyone have any knowledge if this is the best treatment?
Would really appreciate anyones help? I am very worried and aware that it can spread into the bone and lead to PTS :(

I went to feed my French Lop Billy on Wed morning, there was a bloody foot print on the floor, I looked at his feet and discovered a lump on the side of his back foot. Took him to the vet and he has been put on Baytril, 1ml a day and vet said if its not half the size by monday they will surgically remove the abcess.

Does anyone have any knowledge if this is the best treatment?
Would really appreciate anyones help? I am very worried and aware that it can spread into the bone and lead to PTS :(

I'd be very surprised if Baytril alone gets rid of the abscess.
Did the Vet debride it once it burst?
Did he/she take a swab to get a culture for C+S testing to ascertain the best abx to use?
Are you bathing/flushing the abscess ?

In my experience most abscesses need to be surgically removed and followed up with appropriate abx treatment. Otherwise they just keep coming back and/or spread.

No all shes did was look at it, its not an open wound, just a red lump slightly bigger than a pea but I can see thats it white in the middle. She said if it wasn't half the size by Monday antibiotics wouldn't work and it would need to be surgically removed...
Do you think I should go back and ask to have this done?

No all shes did was look at it, its not an open wound, just a red lump slightly bigger than a pea but I can see thats it white in the middle. She said if it wasn't half the size by Monday antibiotics wouldn't work and it would need to be surgically removed...
Do you think I should go back and ask to have this done?

I would certainly go and discuss it. The pus wont drain on its own, Rabbit pus is far too thick. Hence my question about flushing it.

Is your Vet familiar with treating Rabbits ?

Well at my vet surgery there is one vet who knows his rabbit stuff, but its hard to get an appointment with him so it was with a different vet. I'm going to go on Monday and ask for it to be done. It doesn't look like it has shrunk much at all..

Back