• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny cookie recipes

Emm-Jane76

Mama Doe
Has anyone got a good bunny cookie recipe which is healthy i.e. no honey, sugars etc?

I've been looking on the internet and have found some with all sorts in?! I just wanted a simple one perhaps using their existing bunny pellets.

Any help gratefully received x

Liz at Rainbow Rabbits has some healthy bunny cookies for sale sometimes!
All the online recipes i've ever looked at have honey in them too :(
Galens Gardens does some nice cookie mixes though that you make yourself at home. Never made them as my two aren't used to cereals (wheat flour in them) but they look yummy :)
http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/shop/products.php?cat=20

Can I just say that your Frank is gorgeous....I might have to steal him! :love:

I tend to add water to the pellets, then add niceys. so I have blitzed nettles and dandelions, or if there have been whoopsed strawberries and bananas. Anything that a rabbit will eat normally would go in if prepared right.

It is hard to make a 'recipe', as it tends to vary how much water I put in, as if I am putting strawberries in, I need less water, if I am doing leafy green, then I need a bit more. All I can say is you need a biscuit consistency, I have added oats, if it is too damp and apple juice if too dry, obviously you could use more pellets or water too

Ive made some similar to this before they loved it

* 1 c. rolled oats, finely ground (coffee grinder works best)
* 1/4 c. rabbit pellets, finely ground
* 2 medium-sized bunches of parsley
* 1/2 of a carrot
* 1/2 of a banana
* 1/4 c. + 1 tbsp. water

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet or stone with wax paper (baking stones actually work best). Grind pellets and oats down to a powder and set aside. Puree parsley, carrot, banana and water. This should become fairly liquefied, so you can add more or less water depending on the consistency. In a bowl, mix puree and dry ingredients. Knead until a stiff dough is formed. Dough will be somewhat sticky. Place ball of dough between 2 sheets of wax paper and roll to about 1/8 – 1/4 of an inch thick. Cut into small squares and place on baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes (don't let them get too brown), then turn off the heat and let them sit in the warm oven for at least an hour. (The last step is really important because letting them sit in a warm oven is what dries them out so they'll keep for a really long time and not grow mold!)

Back