• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When will the snorting get better?? Myxi question

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Those of you that have nursed myxi buns, have you any idea when the awful snorting and breathing constrictions might stop?

Viola Rose is now much happier in herself generally but her nose is still SO bunged up, despite the Bisolvon and metacam and nebulising F10 etc etc etc.

Her scabs are just starting to think about forming (lumps are slightly rough) but this awful snorting and heavy breathing is carrying on and on and on. Sounds like the worst head cold ever - combined with nasal swelling.

She's had it for about 6 days now. Damson (other bun I had with myxi) didn't get this at all!!!

I don't know how much help this is, or comfort for that matter, and of course every case is slightly different. But I was reading on the Facebook RWAF group today about a vet nurse who nursed her bun through Myxi and she was advising someone else saying that it took a couple of weeks til they were over the worst of it and about a month for the swelling to go down. She mentioned nebulising warm water and breathing difficulties so I'm assuming her bun had similar symptoms. :?

I do hope Viola Rose feels better soon. :)

I don't know how much help this is, or comfort for that matter, and of course every case is slightly different. But I was reading on the Facebook RWAF group today about a vet nurse who nursed her bun through Myxi and she was advising someone else saying that it took a couple of weeks til they were over the worst of it and about a month for the swelling to go down. She mentioned nebulising warm water and breathing difficulties so I'm assuming her bun had similar symptoms. :?

I do hope Viola Rose feels better soon. :)

Thanks - I will try and nip over there - don't really 'do' facebook but will brave it!!

I hoped over there but the RWA group only seemed to have some old posts and nothing about myxi - which post was it??

On the wall - Nurse Carrie. She only wrote a few lines. I would perhaps message her - just in case you don't know how (sorry if you do!) just click on her name and you'll see a limited profile for her, under her profile pic it will say 'send ....a message' and you can PM her :? Hopefully she won't mind whoever she is! :)

Harley's breathing was bad for quite a while - I would say it was the last symptom to go, his scabs were all off and starting to heel by the time his breathing eased.

I found placing an oil burner near to his cage (with him safely shut in obv) with eucalyptus and camphor esential oils in helped (bit like vicks vaporub without the need to actually put it on the bunny)
xxx

Back