• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

*Tips on giving pills to naughty rabbit*

crazylady945

Young Bun
Has anyone got any useful tips or advice on how I can get my rabbit to eat her tablet once a day? I need a good way of hiding it, and havent found one yet.

Regards,

Rox, Cin & Gus

Ah, go back and ask for the liquid form - you can syringe feed it then.

If not, crush it between 2 teaspoons, add some mixed up recovey if you have it - if not mush some pellets up to make a thinnish mix - mix tablet & recovery or mush up and syringe into a 1ml syring and feed in the side of the mouth - making sure bunny does not spit it out.

Do you have syringes etc? Think you need to go back to the vet for some if not so you may as well ask for the liquid form.

Just been to the vets today, and I asked her for the med in a different form, and she said the only other alternative is via daily injection. I administer it through syringe, but she hates it, so I'm just trying to get some hints and techniques for a stress free medication time! I have syringes yeah, thanks for the advice :D

Oh I see ! I thought you had a tablet ! :lol: Thought that was strange!

Ok for help with syringe feeding - wrap bunny up in a towel leaving head out obviosuly - will help you, then give her a treat straight after.

Good luck :wave:

There are two tablet methods that work for me.

First is squish it into a little piece of banana...really depends on how big the tablet is and how icky it tastes if the bun crunches into it.

Second, I put it on a teaspoon and drip water onto it until it disintegrates, then I add a couple of drops of echinacea (immune boosting and yummy!) suck it all up into a syringe and feed that. I use this technique with Santa and she will drink it straight out the syringe. There's a bit of an art to getting the consistency right, as the tablets I have (metronidazole) don't actually dissolve, so you need to have the right amount of liquid that the bits drop down to the bottom of the syringe - and also give it slowly so that the bits fall to the bottom of the syringe and out rather than ending up stuck in the end of the syringe, if you see what I mean!

Back