• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny eye watering slightly? D:

casu consulto

Mama Doe
I'm puzzled/concerned about one of my rabbit's eye. Amber is my lionhead cross doe and she's about, ooh... Well, she's definitely over two! :oops: I think it was on Tuesday that I noticed the fur slightly above her left eye was a little spikey, as if it had gotten went and then dried. When I say this, I don't mean you'd notice it on first sight. I only saw it because I'd picked her up and her face was right in front of my own, it's not obvious at all, and the fur was not discoloured. She has paler fur ringing her eyes anyway, so if it was discoloured it would show. Because this was a little above her eye, I assumed she might have brushed against her water bottle or something and on Wednesday it was normal, same on Thursday.

When putting all the bunnies out in their runs today, I took another look and in the corner nearest her nose it looks like the eye has watered slightly? Again, this is not visible at all from any sort of distance. Standing by the run and watching them, there's no sign of it. I checked her eye and it is not inflamed or red in any way. There is nothing in it. It does not look sore. I'm guessing there'd be signs of inflammation or soreness with conjunctivitus or something (but that is a complete guess on my part!) She has no lumps or bumps or anything, because another thought that crossed my mind was myxi, as I know it effects the eyes. I'm really hoping it is not dental related, though with it being just on the one side, I'm assuming it's the most likely thing... I've watched her eating today and her appetite is same as ever, she shows no difficulty in eating and has actually become a more enthusiastic hay eater these past couple of weeks.

She IS moulting, a lot. I've got another bunny who always manages to get fur in the corners of her eyes, so I was wondering if, with Amber being a lionhead and her fur being a really weird consistency, if it might have irritated her eye. But with my other bun, the fur just works its way to the corner without watering.

So... I have a bunny with a slightly watery eye. Not actively watering, because it doesn't appear watery in itself and the fur is dried in the corner. It's clear fluid as it is not staining the fur. She appears in no distress - but, of course, I know being a bunny she'd be hiding any pain or discomfort. She (and the rest) are due their myxi vaccine booster in the next week or two anyway, but if this recurs I'd obviously have to take her sooner.

Back