• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insulin with Rabbits

sidereus7

Mama Doe
From another bunny forum, a member has said that their rabbit was excessively peeing. When they took the rabbit to the vet, the vet automatically diagnosed diabetes and gave the rabbit an insulin shot, however, they said the diabetes was mild, so they just needed the one shot and a change in diet.

Does this make any sense? :? I thought diabetes was very rare and had to be confirmed with multiple blood tests.

And what happens to a rabbit who gets an insulin injection that doesn't have diabetes? :?

From another bunny forum, a member has said that their rabbit was excessively peeing. When they took the rabbit to the vet, the vet automatically diagnosed diabetes and gave the rabbit an insulin shot, however, they said the diabetes was mild, so they just needed the one shot and a change in diet.

Does this make any sense? :? I thought diabetes was very rare and had to be confirmed with multiple blood tests.

And what happens to a rabbit who gets an insulin injection that doesn't have diabetes? :?

Sounds very odd to me. You are right in that DM cannot be diagnosed from one blood test.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Metabolic_diseases/diabetes.PDF

As like any animal [or human] you would get a drop in blood sugar -could theoretically lead to hypoglycaemic coma although I doubt with one injection this would happen.

Great link. Seems like it needs to be done over a period of time, as a rabbit's adrenaline can falsify initial tests. It also says no insulin shots are necessary for rabbits. :?

So why are insulin shots not good for rabbits, but ok for cats and dogs?

Many plants have got blood sugar lowering properties so therefore no need for insulin,plus a healthy rabbit diet is a "good diabetic" diet :D

Many plants have got blood sugar lowering properties so therefore no need for insulin,plus a healthy rabbit diet is a "good diabetic" diet :D

That makes a lot of sense. Also accounts for why diabetes is so rare in rabbits, I would think! I wonder if vegetarians and vegans have a very low risk of diabetes as well?

Back