• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Floppy Ear

How old is your bun? And what breed? Is it down permanently or just now and again? How long has it been down, did it happen on a hot day? Does he scratch his ear?

I have a 7 year old lop that has always had one ear up and one down (shes a crossbreed, her mum was a lop and dad wasnt, so has mixed genes). Recently shes started to lop the other ear down, not fully, and not all the time, just randomly for short periods (i think shes trying to be a proper lop, as shes bonding with my other 2 lops!:lol:) The vet said she was fine (she was in for another reason but i wanted to check while i was there)

One of my lops i went to see at 3 1/2 weeks old and his ears were practically fully dropped. He does however have the ablilty to lift his ears up, he often sits with them half up and half down, and can lift them almost vertical but not quite!

However my other lop (who was very small and was ill for a while), came with her ears up, and it was only when she was about 4 months that her ears finally dropped, one started at about 3 1/2 months, then dropped, then the other finnally fell by 4 months. Her sister had one up and one down aged 8 weeks but her brother had both down, strange!

Aslong as your bun doesnt show signs of headtilt for example, then i dont think its anything serious

Back