• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

food dilema

winniebarney

Warren Scout
i have 2 house bunnies 2 dogs and 3 catss the trouble is the buns have started eating cat and dog food will this do them any harm??
nothing about the buns have changed they are eating wagg pellets greens and hay but are also eating the other food

help im worried

sarah

i have 2 house bunnies 2 dogs and 3 catss the trouble is the buns have started eating cat and dog food will this do them any harm??
nothing about the buns have changed they are eating wagg pellets greens and hay but are also eating the other food

help im worried

sarah

Yes you really need to prevent your rabbits eating cat and dog food. Buns are strict herbivores and should not be consuming meat or meat products. High levels of protein can not be tolerated by buns and I'm not sure they can even adequately break down the meat proteins as they probably do not have the necessary enzymes that a carnivore or omnivore will have. I expect this could contribute to liver and renal issues but i'm not certain on this. Too much protein alone can upset GI tract and bacterial flora.
Cat and dog food may also contains dairy - which again can not be digested adequately by rabbits. They really are very strict herbivores and require a diet high in fibre of poor nutrient quality and low in carbs and protein. Please try and feed your pets separately, and perhaps shut your buns in another room during cat/dog feeding time.
Cereal products used to bulk cat and dog food up is high in carbohydrates - again not good for the GI tract and caecal flora, so on every level cat and dog food should be a big no no.

Back