• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

gooey white stuff in bunns wee

BaileyBunn

Warren Scout
:wave: Hi i bought my bun bailey 2 weeks ago, shes a dwarf lop and shes just 9 weeks old, shes been very healthy so far eating drinking and getting exercise, this morning i noticed where she has wee'd there was some gooey white stuff aswell; i then noticed that the white stuff was in the next 2 wees she did, ive kept my eye on her and since she has wee'd a few more times and it looks normal. I only took her to the vets 2 days ago to have her mixi jab and shes going back in 2 weeks for the VHD jab, she found it very stressfull going to the vets so i dont want to put her through it more than i have to, i have read that rabbits get those symptoms sometimes when they have a urinery tact infection (which would mean straight to the vets).
please any help would be much appreciated else it looks like 2 trips to the vets in the next two weeks and an unhappy bunny!
Thankyou any help anyone can give is much appreciated
x

I think this is just excess calcium in the urine (though don't take my word for it!).
Where my rabbits have weed I often find a white residue when it's dried. I think it's perfectly normal but best see what other more experienced members say first!

Certainly sounds like excess calcium.

Too much calcium can cause probs for buns so your best bet is to cut down on high calcuim content veggies.

If you post what veg you feed we'll probably be able to identify the culprit.

Is it a toothpaste like consistency? If so then it probably is excess calcium. My bunny gets this too. Have you started giving Bailey veg yet? If so what type of veg have you been giving,as some has more calcium in it than others (i.e Kale is very high in calcium).

CALCIUM per 100 gram -- Vegetables

309 mg -- Lambs quarters
210 mg -- Spinach, Mustard
208 mg -- Dill Weed
190 mg -- Turnip Greens
187 mg -- Dandelion Greens
145 mg -- Collards
138 mg -- Parsley
135 mg -- Kale
120 mg -- Watercress
119 mg -- Beet Greens
105 mg -- Chinese Cabbage (pak-choi)
103 mg -- Mustard Greens
100 mg -- Chicory Greens
99 mg -- Spinach
81 mg -- Okra
68 mg -- Lettuce, LooseLeaf
67 mg -- Cilantro
65 mg -- Purslane
52 mg -- Endive
51 mg -- Swiss Chard
51 mg -- Chard, Swiss
48 mg -- Broccoli
47 mg -- Cabbage
47 mg -- Rutabaga
42 mg -- Brussels Sprouts
40 mg -- Celery
37 mg -- Sweet Potato Leaves
37 mg -- Green Beans
36 mg -- Lettuce, Romaine
36 mg -- Parsnips
32 mg -- Lettuce, Butterhead (Boston, Bibb)
32 mg -- Alfalfa Sprouts
31 mg -- Squash (winter, all varieties)
30 mg -- Turnip
27 mg -- Carrots
24 mg -- Kohlrabi
23 mg -- Carrots, Baby
22 mg -- Sweet Potato
22 mg -- Cauliflower
21 mg -- Asparagus
21 mg -- Pumpkin
20 mg -- Squash (summer, all varieties)
19 mg -- Endive, Belgian (Witloof Chicory)
16 mg -- Beets
14 mg -- Cucumber (with skin)
9 mg -- Peppers,Red
9 mg -- Peppers,Green
5 mg -- Tomato
2 mg -- Corn, White

CALCIUM per 100 gram -- Fruits

49 mg -- Raisins, Seedless
40 mg -- Orange
33 mg -- Lime
32 mg -- Blackberries
26 mg -- Kiwi
26 mg -- Lemon (no peel)
24 mg -- Papaya
22 mg -- Raspberries
15 mg -- Cherries, Sweet
14 mg -- Strawberries
14 mg -- Tangerine
14 mg -- Apricots
12 mg -- Grapefruit, White
11 mg -- Grapefruit, Pink and Red
11 mg -- Pear
11 mg -- Cantaloupe
11 mg -- Grapes
10 mg -- Mango
8 mg -- Watermelon
8 mg -- Persimmon, Japanese
7 mg -- Pineapple
7 mg -- Apple (with Skin)
7 mg -- Cranberries
6 mg -- Banana
6 mg -- Honeydew Melon
6 mg -- Blueberries
5 mg -- Casaba Melon
5 mg -- Nectarine
5 mg -- Peach
4 mg -- Plum

Dried feed is also high in calcium so I would be inclined to restrict this a little alongside cutting out the high calcium veg (if she has any of these). A bun we fostered had a very sludgy wee of excess calcium and was on a diet of just pellets with no hay and no veg. Transferring him on to a better pellet and reducing this ration to just an eggcup full and teaching him to eat hay and building up veg in his diet sorted it out. I would look at the amount and type of pellet you are feeding first, and avoid any high calcium veg at the same time. It should clear up quite quickly in this way.

Lack of fluids is also a risk factor - again dried feed is very dehydrating and can contribute in this way to excreted excess calcium. Offering a bowl of water as well as a bottle and 'tepid' water can encourage bun to drink more. If you do start to introduce veggies slowly (low calcium sources) then offer them freshly washed and damp to improve hydration in bun's tummy.

Just to make things even more complicated some types of hay can cause calcium issues as well (alfalfa in particular). My monsters got chalky wee after eating readigrass, possibly because it is very low in moisture :)

My monsters got chalky wee after eating readigrass, possibly because it is very low in moisture :)

I have never had a problem myself with readigrass but I don't offer it very often. However, when I do my two drink tons afterwards! As a freeze dried grass I think it is highly dehydrated and therefore as you suggest I expect the problems with sludgy wee and readigrass are more of a dehydration issue than increased calcium content of the grass.

sorry took so long to reply, she is only 9 weeks so no veg at all yet, shes only having a musli dried food, she eats all of this and doesnt pick bits out which im told is good, only other things she eats are hay and she has a mineral lick which she only has access to for about 2 hours a day.
its been a week and shes still doing it on some days, trip to the vets on monday anyway for Vhd so will bring it up then if it continues
Thanks for all the replys!

sorry took so long to reply, she is only 9 weeks so no veg at all yet, shes only having a musli dried food, she eats all of this and doesnt pick bits out which im told is good, only other things she eats are hay and she has a mineral lick which she only has access to for about 2 hours a day.
its been a week and shes still doing it on some days, trip to the vets on monday anyway for Vhd so will bring it up then if it continues

Take the mineral lick out!! She doesn't need it and this will likely be the source of the excess calcium!!
I gave one to my hamster once and his wee calcified horrendously.

I would also, when she is a little older and more robust gastrointestinally, gradually move her over to an extruded pellet as opposed to a museli mix. They are generally better for buns in the long term and tend to be higher in fibre.

suspect the mineral lick - if they are on a good diet they really don't need this.

you might also just do a quick check of the calcium content of your tap water (if you are in east Anglia its ridiculously high!!!)

I would throw the mineral lick away. it may be the cause of the problem.
Aslo if she is on dry food only she may be dehydrated. Give her a bowl as well as a water bottle to drink from in cause she struggles with one. i would thing about gradually moving her over to a diet of good quality hay, veg and a good quality complete pellet maybe when she has settled in for a few more weeks.

Back