• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits on their back

Ted an Petal

Warren Veteran
Do many people do this? i never do it to mine not even when i'm cutting their nails. i do remember i could do it with one of my childhood buns but i wouldn't do to ted, theo or petal.

I could do it to mable, she wasn't bothered whatsoever. I'd just lay her down on my knees and she'd stay there.

I have a feeling if I tried it with Charlie, I would be scratched to death. Plus he's bigger thanmy knee's for me to lay him down :lol:

Misty is ok being placed on his back in my arms i do this when clipping his nails, Crystal however starts breathing quite fast and goes abit panicy on her back, the vet made me place her on her back in my arms one time and Crystal stared at me with such hurtful eyes as if to say 'why you doing this to me your meant to love me' bless her

I used to do it all the time until I found out about trancing:oops::oops:

I only do it on Calel now - when I clip his nails. I can't do it any other way as scared he will take a chunk out of my face:oops:

Do many people do this? i never do it to mine not even when i'm cutting their nails. i do remember i could do it with one of my childhood buns but i wouldn't do to ted, theo or petal.

Yep, nearly everyday.
My rabbits are used to it because I used to show them. I have to do it now anyway, to brush them underneith, clip nails and check teeth. Usually every day. You'd be suprised how tangled short haired buns get on their armpits and between their back legs :roll:

I am glad you asked this as i was wondering the same thing.
Georgie and Octavia dont mind once they are in position and Octavia goes totally asleep and stays for ages, but i was worried it wasnt a good thing to do
Peppa wont ever let me do it x
I have looked at websites about bunny massage too and wondered if anyone tried it but you have to pick your bunny up and put them in your lap. All mine dont want to be hastled. Although when i got octavia and was doing it she was clicking her teeth like she liked it so dont know if it is worth persevering.
If there was a way to get them onto my lap without them running off and would realise it was going to be pleasant.

I have in the past, one of mine got gaffa tape stuck between his front legs and there was no way I was going to get it off him. Other than that, I don't think I would, as I have read that when on their backs they are in a deep state of fear, and that doesn't sound too nice.

I have in the past, one of mine got gaffa tape stuck between his front legs and there was no way I was going to get it off him. Other than that, I don't think I would, as I have read that when on their backs they are in a deep state of fear, and that doesn't sound too nice.

Surely if done daily they would get used to it though?
Harley is fine on his back. Will happily eat dandelion leaves, (I do turn him back to normall before he has chance to swallow). I'm sure if he was petrified he wouldn't.

Tonic immobility or 'trancing' is a fear response for rabbits and will put them under stress at some level no matter how much they are used to it. For these reasons I would only use it if absolutely necessary - to clean blocked inguinal glands or quickly check incisor teeth or genitals/bottoms in detail, and for a few seconds at most. I find it possible to clip nails and check teeth and bottoms as a daily thing with bunny sat normally on my lap.

Harley is fine on his back. Will happily eat dandelion leaves, (I do turn him back to normall before he has chance to swallow). I'm sure if he was petrified he wouldn't.

Its bad enough putting them on their backs, but to feed them in this position is just dangerous, sorry :shock:

Lola is always on her back (should probably add that i don't always turn her on her back she does it herself sometimes), and whilst she's laid there I blow raspberries on her belly, she couldn't care less. I even kiss her feet and she's not bothered. I think she's used to it because i do it to clear matts from her bum/tum area and obviously do her nails.

Max I can't do that to. I wouldn't have a face left :p

Brian hates being picked up but loves cuddles and lies on his back when i rub his ears with no problem, I've only done it in order to sex him though!

Lenny again would kick me in the face most probably!

Last edited:

It's just not true I'm afraid, it's been proven scientifically that rabbits who are put on their backs like this show a huge increase in stress hormones. Note: this is different to a rabbit who chooses to lie on its back - that is an unforced event and entirely different!

Basically their survival instinct tells them that if they are on their back, they are about to be carried off to be eaten...so they go into a trance-like state (it's known as trancing or tonic immobility). The purpose is so that the predator then loosens its grip, giving the bun a chance to flip and escape quickly. Because it's based on survival instinct, it is very stressful to do this to your bun. I think it can be a useful technique as a one-off but it has been proven that far from being relaxed (even if they appear to be!), rabbits are actually incredibly stressed when they are handled like this and the stress hormones remain high for some time after the event. It's just not good for them and to do it regularly is very unkind to a bun :(

Tonic immobility or 'trancing' is a fear response for rabbits and will put them under stress at some level no matter how much they are used to it. For these reasons I would only use it if absolutely necessary - to clean blocked inguinal glands or quickly check incisor teeth or genitals/bottoms in detail, and for a few seconds at most. I find it possible to clip nails and check teeth and bottoms as a daily thing with bunny sat normally on my lap.

Thats pretty much what I read somewhere, and the reason they let people do anything to them whilse they are on their backs is that they are too scared to move. Scared stiff as the saying goes!

Mine don't like being touched at all, so I check their bums by lying on the floor/ or sticking my hand between their back legs, bit gross but I would feel any stickies/wet bums. The vet checks teeth and clips nails for me.

Thats pretty much what I read somewhere, and the reason they let people do anything to them whilse they are on their backs is that they are too scared to move. Scared stiff as the saying goes!

Mine don't like being touched at all, so I check their bums by lying on the floor/ or sticking my hand between their back legs, bit gross but I would feel any stickies/wet bums. The vet checks teeth and clips nails for me.

Yep pretty much do the same - the 'finger test'!! Yummmy! :oops::lol: I also find that whilst grooming you can actually acess the genital and bottom area by bending over and looking under tail and bottom with bun sat on your lap. Nail clipping I find easiest just picking their paws up one at a time :D
If I do have to turn them over for something special I tend to avoid trancing them and instead lie them just tilted back into my tummy but fully with it and get my OH to do the check or vice versa. I really don't like full on trancing - it is a real 'stress' state and will avoid it like the plague.

What about the bunny massage i mentioned, is that ok, not laid on their backs just massage down their back etc while they lie on your lap. Does anyone do this and do they have any tips xx

Back