• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is she brain damaged??

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
Ive noticed Lily Shane doing something very odd.She looks at me then her head slowly moves to the side...not a tilt but like shes following something.
I know shes the runt and has alot of problems but could she have brain damage too???
Your thoughts will be gratefully received.

Could it be she is scanning?

REWs and siamese sable (and also siamese smoke pearl-the dilute) often have scanning problems due to eye sight, but this can occur in any colour, especially if there is REW in the heritage.

How do you think her vision is?

Yes...she is a REW.Do they all do this?? Why?? Im unsure of her sight really....I worry about the eyes being in too bright a place so I keep her in the shade or a shady room.

Scanning is done by bunnies with poor eyesight, usually red eyed whited, when they are trying to focus on an object nearby.

It is probably completely normal then. When she is sitting, do her eyes scan from one side to another? Try and see when she is not active.

If you are concerned then get her checked out, but I have a couple of scan and sway. We even had a 'swaying Sweep' (who was a siamese sable) and he lived to 9 with no problems other than a sway.

Thankyou very much for your helpful information.All stored up for reference.
Bless her,shes a real sweetie.xx

My Paddy has a wobble and a sway from time to time. Hes black all over and brown eyed but the vets couldn't find anything wrong, it sounds very similar to this!
Hope bun is ok :)

My Paddy has a wobble and a sway from time to time. Hes black all over and brown eyed but the vets couldn't find anything wrong, it sounds very similar to this!
Hope bun is ok :)

I think shes fine.She had a really sad start to life and almost a very tragic ending had i not got involved.Love her to bits.Shes my 3rd bun.I have her brother.They both suffer from snuffles....was wondering too should I bond the pair together since they are related and have the same viral thingys?
Neither are neutered currently but thats a worry too with a GA.Thoughts again please!!xx

Scanning is done by bunnies with poor eyesight, usually red eyed whited, when they are trying to focus on an object nearby.

It's common to other red eyed animals too. I have a Champage hooded rat and a Champagne self rat who both have red eyes and do the scanning thing. Not entirely sure how important it is for rabbits but when I approach my rats with red eyes I have to make a noise so they know it's me that's near them otherwise it will startle them.

My personal feeling is that if the snuffles are under control I would neuter them and then give bonding a go- remember with the high incidence of uterine cancer not neutering her is risky too xx

It's called scanning. Rabbits with the REW gene do it as their vision isn't very good and they're stepping back and having a good look at things.
My foster babies (see signature) do this. One is a REW, one's a Chinchilla, and two are Sealpoints.
All of them do it as their Mum is a REW and their Dad must have REW in him too as he scans also!

Back