• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please please please can I have vibes..UD a bit brighter

charlie82

Mama Doe
Haven't been on here because started a new job... had a horrible week so far and tonight it's gotten worse.

One of my rabbits had her nose bitten, but because her lip was involved and it isn't healing she is having it surgically repaired tomorrow. Got home tonight to find Phoebe had collapsed. My hot water bottle had fallen down behind my bed and she has chewed a lot of it to pieces and no doubt eaten it :cry::cry:
She's had fluids, metcam, vetergesic, zantac etc but is just out of it at the moment. She is not obstructed yet (that the vet could feel) but if she is not well by the morning she will be having x-rays and if she becomes obstructed i'm probably going to lose her.

I'm so upset :cry::cry::cry:

I hope your bunnies are ok.
Has the vet considered other causes for the collapse such as e.c or trauma? the hot water bottle incident could be coincidence xx

I hope your bunnies are ok.
Has the vet considered other causes for the collapse such as e.c or trauma? the hot water bottle incident could be coincidence xx

She was thoroughly examined and is definitley in full blown ileus.. she has no gut sounds or movements at all. She had a glazed eye look that i've never seen before and her temp was low... as though she was in shock. She's sitting up but is very lethargic :cry: I'm trying to keep her warmed up.

Just to add.. I would never purposely leave a hot water bottle out, or anything else that she could chew up that would cause her harm. I was using it last night as I had cramp and had put it under my pillow. I must have knocked it off and didn't realise this morning. :(
If she dies I will never forgive myself, nor will I have any more bunnies. Two accidents this week and I feel like i'm doing something wrong.

Poor thing :(
I should say I wasn't trying to suggest your vet was wrong, just wondered whether he'd ruled out other possible causes of collapse.
I hope the vet is able to make her better xx

Just to add.. I would never purposely leave a hot water bottle out, or anything else that she could chew up that would cause her harm. I was using it last night as I had cramp and had put it under my pillow. I must have knocked it off and didn't realise this morning. :(
If she dies I will never forgive myself, nor will I have any more bunnies. Two accidents this week and I feel like i'm doing something wrong.

It's not your fault, anyone can have an accident and we all know how good buns are at finding ANYTHING that's bad for them and gobbling it up. it's how you deal with the accident afterwards that's important. x

Lots of vibes. :) It may not be that she's ingested the rubber from the water bottle. Buns can go into ileus from stress alone. My bun was in full blown stasis and bloat night before last with a mild impaction and had all the drugs yours has had. He was also very out of it. I kept him warm by lying him across my tummy and we actually woke him up every hour or so to encourage him to eat and to give him oral fluids. By 3am he passed the impaction. The vetergesic as an opiate will slow the guts down a little so you need to keep her eating if you can, and if not syringe feed her, as long as she's not too bloated you need to keep her gut motility functioning and get it up and running asap. Oral fluids should really help alongside the fluids already given, as will some infacol and gripe water to break down any gas build up from the static gut material.
I would also suggest you rub her tummy every hour and keep things moving. I'm not saying keep her awake all night, give yourselves a couple of hours off, but just keep her going as much as you can, no matter how zonked out she is on the opiates.

Good luck and tons of vibes for her and you :)

Back