• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Breathing problems

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I am getting more and more worried about Timmy's breathing, it isn't getting any worse but its not getting any better either :? I really didn't expect it to still be this bad.

Has anyone else had a bunny with a blown vein in its neck? Did they have major breathing problems??

Hopefully I am just over reacting, but I don't like to see him struggling, he is such an old bunny so I am really worried :cry:

I can't really offer any advice Liz but I'm sure the vet wouldn't have sent him home if he/she thought it was anything to worry about. Why don't you ring the vet first thing in the morning and ask for some advice? Sending lots of <<vibes>> for Timmy and a big hug for you.

Poor wee soul.....hope he gets through this, he is deffo a wee fighter, so hope he manages to get better.

Sorry to hear this about Timmy :( What did the vets say the damage was exactly? How did they stop the bleeding or was it a minor vein? I'm wondering if he can't maintain cv output so well and therefore same with oxygenating his blood.....perhaps if he deteriorates further he would benefit from some Oxygen whilst everything recovers? Or could it just be that he's hyperventilating a little as a stress response from the days events?
I do hope he feels better soon. :)

I think it is hard to know exactly what damage has been done as it is all internal, the bleeding seems to have been internal too.

He isn't blue at all, he was pale when he was first rushed back to the vets but seems a better colour now.

I don't think he is hyperventilating, his breathing is too slow and it seems like it is hard work for him.:?

I know he is sore round his neck as he is holding his head very tense so that probably isn't helping.

I wouldn't say he has deteriorated at all, just that I expected his breathing to have improved today but it is the same as it was when we rushed him back yesterday although he is a lot brighter and eating :)

Oh poor Timmy :( I didn't realise he was breathing with effort and slowly sorry, I had stupidly assumed he was panting and mouth breathing. I expect in that case he's just sore and bruised around his neck like you say and perhaps he's had a little bleed somewhere that's affecting his breathing. I honestly have no idea.....but I hope that he feels better soon. He's in the best hands :)
Lots of vibes Timmy - get well soon! x

Have you spoken to the vet this morning to ask his/her advice? Glad to hear Timmy's bright and breezy though. He's probably worried you'll stick him back on a pink cushion if he doesn't look lively!

I hope he's doing ok.
Was his breathing perfectly fine before this incident? It's just that if an animal is experiencing some degree of increased respiratory effort this can cause them to panic and struggle when restrained for a blood test xx

Back