• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Allergies?

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Oh dear, Smudge has been with us a few hours now and every time I pick him up and give him a cuddle I end up with itchy welts on my skin near any small scratch and lots of sneezes and blocked nose. I'm fine with the others, I'm even ok when handling hay most of the time.

Any ideas? Could it be cos he's new and my body needs to get used to him? Or cos he's not fixed yet? Anyone ever experienced this before?

Is he a very fluffy Rabbit ?

Does HE have any sign of mites, the type that leave a white scurff on the skin (Cheyleitiella Mites)

I am SEVERELY allergic to these critters and I come out in a horrible rash and my eyes puff up as though I have been crying for a week.

I'd take an antihistimine if you have any to hand.

What type of rabbit is he? Do you have a picture if you're unsure?

And on an unrelated note:

Jane!! :D

I love your new signature! Very good to see you. :)

Oh dear, Smudge has been with us a few hours now and every time I pick him up and give him a cuddle I end up with itchy welts on my skin near any small scratch and lots of sneezes and blocked nose. I'm fine with the others, I'm even ok when handling hay most of the time.

Any ideas? Could it be cos he's new and my body needs to get used to him? Or cos he's not fixed yet? Anyone ever experienced this before?

Bodies do not usually "get used to" allergies. Allergies are caused when your body reaches its limit of how it can handle what its being exposed to. Pregnant women are advised not to eat nuts as it increases the risk of a child having an allergy- this is because the childs body is already overloaded with nuts (theoretically) and will reach its limit sooner triggering a reaction.

Snowberry,

The reason I asked that is cos a few years ago I suffered terribly from hayfever, so bad I wanted to scratch my eyes, nose, ears and throat out but recently it's got a lot better to the stage it's almost gone.

Jack's Jane,

He is EXTREMELY fluffy. Can't see any sign of mites.

Siderus,

He's a lionhead/lop cross.

3903317985_a1f1635406.jpg

Snowberry,

The reason I asked that is cos a few years ago I suffered terribly from hayfever, so bad I wanted to scratch my eyes, nose, ears and throat out but recently it's got a lot better to the stage it's almost gone.

Jack's Jane,

He is EXTREMELY fluffy. Can't see any sign of mites.

Siderus,

He's a lionhead/lop cross.

3903317985_a1f1635406.jpg

It may be that you are allergic to the particular fur-type.

I'm allergic :wave:
My eyes itch and I sneeze. I sometimes get itchy skin too.
I've had rabbits for about 8 years, and my allergy has never gotten better.

And I find even short haired buns bring on my allergy, not just long haired ones.

Back