• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trimming up angoras/lionheads?

Phoebesmummy9

Warren Veteran
My new baba Ava is sooo fluffy that ive had to trim right down her eyes and her snout so she could see!
I think pretty soon Ava will need her other fur trimmed down :shock: shes just the biggest ball of fluff ever! :shock:
Whilst im prepared and fully aware i need to groom her daily - I was wondering what other people do with there very fluffy lionheads/angoras!
Does anyone actually take there bunnys to a parlour and have them done... :shock: (as absurd as this sounds, ill do it if i have 2 :lol:)

I've debated trimming Charlie. He's not really fluffy, but his long haired bits are longer than his ears so it goes right down his back, and he HATES being groomed. I also have to keep tucking his fringe behind his ears :lol:

Don't take the to the parlor, they will not have a clue!

I have been looking at getting an angora, and have read the best way is regular grooming to take loose hairs out, and a pair of safety scissors, they have a rounded tip, so cause little or no damage if anything were to happen.

Clippers tend to jame very quickly with bunny hair esp angora

I have propper scissors, and a grooming kit and although Ava is good as gold getting done :love: I just wondered if anyone actually took bunnys to a parlour to be clipped? i dont mind leaving her coat massive over the winter, but i dont know wether it would be to much in the summer?
Although ive been told she is a lionhead, i was looking up breeds in my rabbit books and she fits angora :shock: i kid you not, the amount of fur that bunny has is un-nautral shes brushed twice a day and her coat is still MASSIVE!

Mybe get in touch with a local angora breeder (if there are any) and ask their advice. I am sure if you explain the situation then they would be more than willing to help. Unless there are any resuces out ther who can advise. Reputable breeders will not let their kits go to a new home until the owner has the corred techniques for grroming their new animal. that is why most are rehomed within the show circit, as they know the animals will be well looked after and groomed correctly.

I have heard of pulling the fur, but apparently there is a technique to it so bunny doesn't get hurt. I don't thing I would comtemplate it myself.

Angoras are bred for their wool and most of the time they are contitioned from an early age to sit still and be groomed.

Well I got told she was a lionhead tbh but because of her coat im convinced she has some angora in her.
Really not keen on contacting breeders etc :? though I would speak to a breeder re grooming if i had to.
Sadly Ava was given up for being "to nippy" by my parents friends, and although she was a bit of a suprise to the household, im 110% willing to groom her and learn the right techniques to do so.

Hmmmm....[scratches head thinking]

Daz has Angora in him and I groom him daily. I use a small pet comb type thing. Over the summer I used some rounded ended pet grooming scissors to trim all his fluff shorter. He was really suffering with the heat some days so we thought it was best. It has now grown back and is super long - he looks like a white version of that dog from the magic roundabout.....:roll:

I didn't think you can pluck them unless they are true angora.

Hiya :wave:

I give my bunny (Merry) a haircut every couple of months, the fur on her body is quite short but her "mane" gets really long. I just give it a good trim and she always seems very happy afterwards.

i dont know if this is helpful of not but mt son has really thick hair and when he goes to the barbours they use "thinning scisors" on his hair, this thins out the hair and he says that this makes his head much cooler.

I use thining scissors on my lionhead. He's double maned and its like having a giant cotton wall ball walking about the place! :lol:

when ted was a baby i just brushed her everyday and combed it, but she's since lost the most of it. but i just come and brush her mane now. love wee fur balls.

Hmmmmm i might try a pair of thinning scissors! I just worry about pulling out fur right under that keeps her snug!
I honestly cannot believe how much fur she has! :shock: my fletcher is a lionhead and just has a cute little mane which is nothing to maintain :lol:

Last summer I took him to the vets and asked them to trim his fur right down so he looks like a short haired bun. Guess what they did. NOTHING :censored:

I trim right between Toffee's eyes down to his nose and around his eyes... he looks like a proper lion... :love:

This is what ive done for Ava at the moment Hetty. Ive cut the fur on her nose, round her eyes so her face is trimmed down but rest is alll fluff! she looks like she has a massive mane :lol:

she looks like a baby Nala... her fur is really thick too. I use a cat de-tangling comb, like a flea comb but with alternate longe teeth. I also trim all three of my fluffies's noses and near their eyes so they can see. Wish you were close to me i'd have popped round to have a comb and a cuddle!!!

I just worry she'll over heat esp in the summer

Casper is like a different bunny in summer - it is unreal how much fur he loses. You can actually see he is a rabbit in summer! I guess nature has a way of helping us out so don't worry.

Bramble's mane is really long at the moment. It looks like he has a mullet! :lol: Should I give it a trim? It doesn't seem to bother him. He keeps it nice himself, I very rarely have to groom him.

Back