• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Amputation U/D Post 18

Lspacehopper

Wise Old Thumper
We have a pair in adoption, male and female. Well, we had a pair....we've had to separate them. The male attacked the female and did a massive skin tear on the front leg/armpit. This has deteriorated and resulted in a bad abcess.
The vet put her under GA today for a good clean and check. She cannot stitch as the gap between skin is too great. It wouldn't bandage up properly without coming off. There are other issues as well and we've discussed it and decided that amputation is the only option.

Does anyone have a 3 legged bunny with a front leg amputation? How do they cope?

Last edited:
We have a pair in adoption, male and female. Well, we had a pair....we've had to separate them. The male attacked the female and did a massive skin tear on the front leg/armpit. This has deteriorated and resulted in a bad abcess.
The vet put her under GA today for a good clean and check. She cannot stitch as the gap between skin is too great. It wouldn't bandage up properly without coming off. There are other issues as well and we've discussed it and decided that amputation is the only option.

Does anyone have a 3 legged bunny with a front leg amputation? How do they cope?

Yes a friend of mine who volunteers at Bobtails rescue has a 3-legged bunny that they've just adopted themselves. As far as I know Pod (Tripod) copes very well. I don't know details but if you'd like me to ask her i'm happy to send her a quick message. :)
They obviously weren't involved at the operation stage however.

I do hope her op goes well :)

Hi
Our bunny came to us with only 3 legs - her brothers had opposing ears & they were from an accidental birth if you know what i mean.
Anyway she is 6.5 years old & manages fantastically - she runs round the garden really well & altough her bunny hops are a little skew whiff, she really is very cute.
We were warned though by a Vet. nurse to watch he ears. She can't quite clean the same- so there can be a problem with a build up of muck in the ear- we've never yet suffered this but simply regularly check down her ear.
As i say she really copes fantastically & up until this week, has not had any problems. In fact the vets have always praised her good health & sunny personality.

Good luck though - but remember to check the ears!
:wave:

sorry - only had a hind leg amputation - she coped really really well - but would have coped better and not eventually succumbed to the front legs splaying if she had had physio after op. (she was not with us at that time).

I've no experience of this, but wanted to say hope today does well for the little lady - sending her lots of vibes xxx

Firstly, good luck with the operation and hope it's a successful outcome. Secondly, I can only tell you about Parsnip's current experience as he's been on three legs since he broke one of his front ones two weeks ago.

Walking around, you'd have no idea he was on three legs. It only becomes obvious when he's trying to wash his face and ears (although as he heals, he can manage that again now :D).

So I think you'd probably have to watch for ear problems where he can't wash properly (although with a bonded partner, he'll get a lot of this done for him hopefully). You may also have to watch for arthrititis in the other front leg as it'll be taking all the strain.

I have experience of a hind limb amputation but that's probably of no use to you.

My word Laura, you've had a terrible time recently with the buns! :(

I've had a hind limb amputee, who coped fine without his leg.

Buns with hind limbs removed tend to sit/lie down more than usual so aren't suited to outdoor hutches with attached runs because they end up getting wet bums. I'm not sure if front leg amputees would be the same though?

Good luck :)

Oh bless her, good luck with the operation.

I only have back leg amputees but I do have a bunny with a deformed front leg which is useless. I think bunnies do have more difficulties with a front leg removed but can still cope fine. Obviously they will have problems washing themselves, so may need the ear and eye bathed on that side.

One problem I have with Moses is sore hocks because there is more weight being distributed on his hind limbs, he has them bandaged every night :(

She will definately need to be a house bunny.

Please keep us updated on her progress :wave:

fine

Ive heard of a three legged rab in a rab show.
Ive a 3 legged cat
Both were fine and cope well

Laura Ange (Thumpinbun) has a rabbit, Cleo, who had to have her front leg amputated years ago and she is fine. Runs around like any other bunny..just needs a bit more of an even living surface as she gets older as is putting more pressure on the one leg than normal..but no probelms:D

Here she is with her partner Dooley..:D

DSC00429.jpg

Good luck with the op

Awww good luck with the operation :) I had Oliver, he had a front limb removed and he adapted really well :D You will find that they lean against something to do their faces - it's lovely to see :love: As they get a bit older they need a little more care, but other than that, they cope really well.

Let's know how little bun gets on :love:

Back