• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how long after your rabbits friend died did you rebond?

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Hello
As some of you will know I lost Squirrel yesterday :cry: He was bonded with Spudsey my wild bun and had been living quite happily together for over a year.
unfortunately I didn't realise that it was good to bring the body back for the other rabbit and was too late to do this as Squirrel had spent the night in the freezer before having a post mortem.
I have contacted rabbit welfare for advice and the lady there said she normally tries to find a new friend as soon as possible. So just wondered how you all dealt with the remaining bunny and when you rebonded?
Thanks everyone in advance and for your kind messages :)

Personally I think it depends on the rabbit. Some will need a friend ASAP, some will need time to grieve.

Because your bun doesn't understand what happened to Squirrel, he may need at least a few days to understand that she isn't coming back.

My Roger is essentially mostly wild and he would need a friend ASAP. When Tilly lost Summer (Summer, Roger and Tilly were a trio), despite having seen her body, the next bun I tried to add to the trio was pretty nastily bitten by Tilly. That was two days later and I think it was too early for her.

What do you think your bun needs? Some time? Or a friend ASAP?

I really don't know, this is the first time I have had two bonded bunnies, all my rabbits in the past lived on their own (and were probably very unhappy :(). Spudsey is quite alert to sounds etc and would go to Squirrel for comfort if she was scared. I feel dreadful for her not being able to see him :cry:

I'm now in the same position (see my other thread re Lucy) and I don't know what to do either. Poppy and Lucy were sisters so have always been together as far as I know. I'd like to get her a new friend but really don't know how she'll react. :(

We have just bonded our rabbit Hope with Kenzo after she lost her Brother Danny in April and we then bonded her with her Brother Toffee in July and we found Toffee dead in less than a week of being with her.
We got Kenzo the day after we lost Toffee as we felt so sorry for poor Hope, Kenzo came from Bunny Burrows and we put him in an indoor home next to Hope and we have been putting him with her for a few hours every other day to see how they went on and finally put them together forever last week as her eyes have been so bad since she lost Danny and Toffee but since she has been with Kenzo and he has been washing her eyes they are much better.

Hope and Kenzo.
HopeKenzo.jpg

I'm now in the same position (see my other thread re Lucy) and I don't know what to do either. Poppy and Lucy were sisters so have always been together as far as I know. I'd like to get her a new friend but really don't know how she'll react. :(

sorry for your loss too. its an awful situation isn't it?

We have just bonded our rabbit Hope with Kenzo after she lost her Brother Danny in April and we then bonded her with her Brother Toffee in July and we found Toffee dead in less than a week of being with her.
We got Kenzo the day after we lost Toffee as we felt so sorry for poor Hope, Kenzo came from Bunny Burrows and we put him in an indoor home next to Hope and we have been putting him with her for a few hours every other day to see how they went on and finally put them together forever last week as her eyes have been so bad since she lost Danny and Toffee but since she has been with Kenzo and he has been washing her eyes they are much better.

Hope and Kenzo.
HopeKenzo.jpg

they look happy together glad its worked out for them

Hi,

I'm sorry for your loss x

A few weeks ago I was in a similar situation, Willow and Zander had been together for a few years, inseparable but sadly we lost Willow, and I didn't know what to do for the best with Zander. Because she passed away overnight in the crate with him, he'd had time to be with her before I removed her. We left the crate where it was (by the side of a single bun) while we thought about what to do.

We knew we couldn't leave him on his own as it wouldn't be right for him and apart from being able to give another needy bun a home, with having 7 buns I really didn't want to increase the numbers unless I had to. We decided to try to bond him one of the bonded couple, and chose Opal & Benji as best matched. A couple of days later we cleaned all the cages, swapped him over with May so he was by the side of Opal & Benji. I did the swapping of litter trays and last night started the bonding which I'll post details of in Bonding section.

So after waffling on, in answer to your question, I think it (a) depends on your situation and (b) depends on how well the bun is doing. Zander was fine for a short while then his character started changing, but due to an op on my shoulder I had to delay the start of the bonding but just gave him more attention.

After last night he seems much happier today, and we're going to put them together again tonight.

Good luck with what you decide x

thanks you've been really helpful, i will keep an eye on her and see what happens but will start looking around for a new friend.

Phoebe-1.jpg

Hello :wave: My name is Phoebe and I lost my wifebun Piper in febuary :(
Mummy thought I looked very sad and bonded me and my daughter Holli with 2 other buns called Ella and Fletcher. Although we all lived in harmony mummy felt I still wasnt very happy and I met my 2nd love Ava :love:
I needed a bit of time to get over loosing my wifebun Piper, as I was very sad and wanted her to come back to do groomings on me :oops:
although I will never forget my Piper, i'm very glad my mummy got me Ava to snuggle up to at night :love:
Hope this helps
love
Phoebe x

When we suddenly lost Jazz we rebonded Izzy the following week, it would have been sooner had we been able to do it, she was lost on her own and very withdrawn and started nipping us as she was desperate for company

My little man Hugo (who lives with my mum :cry:) was bonded with little Ophelia

She died after her spay and Hugo was lost without her. He didn't eat for a whole day. I wasn't ready for another bun to "replace" her but knew Hugo needed a friend, so got Rose the next day.

Hugo hopped straight up to her (on my lap) and started grooming her. They have been inseparable ever since! If you pick Rose up first Huggy bun gets all jittery...I think he remembers losing Ophelia and doesn't want me to take Ro away.

I think your bunny will tell you when it is right!

Last edited:
(woops...sorry about the essay and the oversized pics...no idea how to resize them)

Sorry to hear about Squirrel!

I lost Autumn over two weeks ago,She was bonded to Charlie, but lived in a foursome. However, I have noticed that the other two are very cuddly and leave Charlie out, so I got Cherry Blossom a week ago.

I tried to bond them on Sunday, but Cherry was having none of it, as she is still very hormonal, she was only neutered the Thursday before I got her, but Charlie is desperate for a friend of his own. We will get ther ein a few weeks time :)

Only you know what is best for your bun. Charlie has been through this before, so I know it would be soon after her death that I would get another bun.

Phoebe-1.jpg

Hello :wave: My name is Phoebe and I lost my wifebun Piper in febuary :(
Mummy thought I looked very sad and bonded me and my daughter Holli with 2 other buns called Ella and Fletcher. Although we all lived in harmony mummy felt I still wasnt very happy and I met my 2nd love Ava :love:
I needed a bit of time to get over loosing my wifebun Piper, as I was very sad and wanted her to come back to do groomings on me :oops:
although I will never forget my Piper, i'm very glad my mummy got me Ava to snuggle up to at night :love:
Hope this helps
love
Phoebe x

Thank you Phoebe and I'm glad you're now a happy bunny :)

Our first bun Holly was bonded with Wolfgang in April 2007 and they got on really well, then Holly died a few months later in July. She was ill for a few days and had been taken out to be nursed inside. We put her body back into the compound for an hour or so, so that Wolfie could sniff at her. After she was gone for good, he seemed very withdrawn and would sit for hours inside the hutch which was very unusual for him as he always liked to be outside.

We bonded him with his current partner Gloria in August and it has been fine since then. I am in the process of trying to introduce a stray bun, Felix that I have taken in. He has just been neutered and I am hoping to form them into a trio.

Back