• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cats and Rabbits

JamBenJakl

Young Bun
Hi

Can anyone please advise on whether Bunnies get on with Cats/Kittens?

I have already got two Buns (who are my babies, they are mainly house buns, but do go out in the garden during the day for exercise and grass). I am thinking of getting a rescused Cat/Kitten, but don't want to be unfair to either of them or to the Cat/Kitten. The boy rabbit will stand up to Cats in the garden but the girl bun is a bit more timid (we rescused her earlier this year).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Years ago i use to have six cats and then rescued a giant rabbit ( big bertha) from a farm, and they got on really well. I think it depends on the nature of the cat/s and the nature of the rabbit/s. I do think it helped that Bertha was bigger than the cats ( she would nudge them out if the way if the fire in winter and slob out in front of it ). It might be better getting a kitten then it can grow up with the rabbits and know they are part of its family :D

Thank you

I am just a bit concerned as when they are younger they like to play more, do you think this would cause problems?

Thank you

I am just a bit concerned as when they are younger they like to play more, do you think this would cause problems?

I would say potentially - yes.

Play in all animals has aspects of practice for the 'real thing'. Cats are predators and rabbits are prey and therefore the type of play engaged is very different. Cats or kittens in particular are very rough and tumble, pounce, claws out very often. To a prey species this could potentially be rather threatening and intimidating and arouse 'stress' feelings in the rabbit.
Cats also have very sharp claws and a quick swipe without retracting them could do quite a bit of damage to an eye for example, I know of one rabbit who has had this injury occur through inadequate supervsion of the cat playing with the rabbit.

I personally go on one rule - that all predator/prey relationships - although they can be very successful - should be supervised at all times. This means bunny being safe when the cat or dog is out and you are not around to supervise. Instinct can kick in in both species out of the blue. I would personally never risk it.

When I was growing up we had cats and rabbits and a dog as well, they all got along fine, but we never left them unsupervised, simple as that. One of our cats in particular was a bit of a hunter, and even though our rabbits outsized her we still never took that risk so it is up to you.
I have heard many stories of cats and dogs being great friends with rabbits but I would always exercise caution where nature is concerned.
I think introducing a kitten with strict boundaries would be best for both the kitten and for the buns, certainly a kitten, as long as it's play is supervised, would probably be safer than an adult cat in some ways as it will grow up with your buns.

i rehomed marbles the missy who are my indoor rabbits when all my cats have been adults.
you need to supervise them and dont leave them alone but apart from that id say they all get on fine.
missy and marbles have their own room as when they were freerange marbles chewed all my cables so now theyre not allowed.
i dont keep my eye on them but i can hear whats going on and know if the cats go in.
dont know about kittens though but id think if you were there and tauht the kitten your buns are not their enemy i think youl be fine.
btw i wouldnt worry about your bun standing up to the cat hewas probably just having a nose:love:

My rabbits and cats all get on great. I have a large male rabbit who likes to play chase with my youngest cat (they are both around a year old now) and when my baby rabbits where born they liked to cuddle up to the cats! The most either cat ever did was lick them or look a bit confused.

My rabbits are out in a run all day and the two cats usually just ignore them. I wouldn't leave them unsupervised together (without a run to protect the rabbits), but I get the impression that the rabbits are just too big to be seen as prey to the cats.

I have got 2 persian cats and they get on very well with my rabbits, they go in the shed when I am cleaning them out, and when they go out in the garden when I am at home, they dont really bother with each other.

Its always best to be cautious, because obviously some cats are greater hunters than others, and they could do damage with their claws.

if anything my cats are more wary of the rabbits than the other way round - Carole

I have 3 of everything!! 3 buns,3 cats and 3 ferrets!! Apart from the ferrets,all play nicely....with supervision!! My Gus LOVES Lily.....they cuddle up...only cos Gus is a box freak and Lily lays in a box.....so Gus gets in too!!!:roll::shock:

My two mongrel moggies are scared of my bunnies - both the lionheads I used to have and my new French lops :lol:

But yeah, supervise them at all times if the buns are out, and put them in a hutch/run where the cats can't get at them if you can't watch them. Even though my bunnies are housebuns this is why I have a hutch - so that at night they can go away safe and sound :)

I dont own a cat but my neighbours cat came into my garden and attacked my bunnies when they were out :shock: it didnt cause blood but scared them quite abit. Now they are never in the garden when someone isnt about.

My bun Tabby used to chase and bite any cats that came in our garden... but we didnt have cats and they probably were planning on hunting her or one of the other buns.... :p

My bun used to play with next doors cat, they were best friends. He would run about the garden playing and chase her for fun. I became more and more relaxed about him being out and one day popped inside to take a shower. When I came out again a different cat had my bunny in his jaws - it was too late, he had killed him.

After 2 years of him having mostly supervised free range time I wrongly assumed he was too big for a cat to take. The tom cat who killed him could barely lift him, but I don't think the size makes a difference as there wasn't a mark on him, I think he was killed by the shock.

It was a terrible loss and I would never let my other bun out now. She only plays indoors.

YOU JUST CAN'T TRUST CATS!

I've just moved in with some new housemates who have a young cat and my tiny bun Binks hates her. She's fine with him but during playtime you can still always tell that really she is a predator and he is a prey animal. It just made me very aware that it would not take much for her to take playtime too far. As everyone else says you do have to be very careful and it totally depends on the temperment of the cat (and rabbit). I don't think they can ever truly bond but there's always exceptions :)

x

My large Tom cat is scared of our rabbits but they all get on very well.

He was 9 when we got him so i think being a little older helped a lot!

they can get on very well but it depends on the rabbits and cats involved.

Personally i wouldnt risk kittens with rabbits as they as so playful and have incredibly sharp claws / teeth.

could you get an older cat who has calmed down a little?

Back