• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Female Spaying Advice - Update

viktory

Warren Scout
Spaying Info Required.

Hi

Sorry, I have searched but can’t find the specific info I need.

Situation is that Lily and Ollie have been co-habiting peacefully for a good few months now (5 actually – how time flies). Ollie has long since been neutered. It is now Lilly’s turn. She has become quite hormonal.

Questions:

Lilly and Ollie live together outside. Lilly has never been an indoor bun. When she has had the op should I:

a) Put her straight back outside with Ollie (bearing in mind access to their run is via a ramp)
b) Put her outside in a smaller hutch on her own (I have a snuggle safe she can use)
c) Bring her indoors on her own for a couple of days?
d) Bring her and Ollie indoors?

TIA :D

Last edited:
I would take them both into the vets if your vets are bunny savvy they should be happy with this otherwise you may end up damaging their bond, you want them to smell the same when they get back. (vets always make them smell!) Then i would put them back outdoors if there was no problems with the spay, mine were kept routinely overnight for monitoring and pain relief by my vets and were quiet but fine the next day. Ive always taken my pairs in together for anything.

We keep ours in bonded group in the house for at least the first night, in a dog cage. After that, depending on activity, eating, pooing and weather we get them back to normal as soon as is safe.

The GA affects their ability to keep themselves warm so you need to monitor this.

I would bring them both indoors together atleast for the first night. Post-op buns find it hard to maintain body temperature.

Lily is now at the vets having the op. Please send lots of vibes.

I have also discovered that Lily is in fact a boy :shock: When we bought him, we were told he was a boy. Then the vet said he was a girly. Several times the vet said he was a girly - and I never saw any plums. Turns out he is most definitely a boy. He is a very pretty boy, I can tell you.

At least the op will be easier for him.

Back