• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Burgess and Portable Bunnies. U/D response received.

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Having read this piece on their website about the new rescue rabbit Burgess, the blog says (Week 2), that the bunny will be going to the Burgess offices everyday with his new mum. Now if that doesn't give the wrong message about rabbits being portable, I'm not sure what does.

In my experience, rabbits hate change and even a trip to the vets can cause a large amount of stress, so why take your bunny to work every day?

I know, I know, there will be exceptions and he may be one that doesn't mind, but to newcomers who read this, doesn't it give the wrong message?
http://www.burgesspetcare.co.uk/pets-corner/burgess-diary-week-2.html

Last edited:
That sounds like it would be very stressful for the poor bun and I wonder what sort of accomodation he will have at the office?

Yeah thats an awful idea to be giving people. Its turning rabbits into dogs!

There are always exceptions as you stated - My lola loves new places and new people - but the majoritory dont.

Definetly gives the wrong message out to people considering a rabbit.

That sounds like it would be very stressful for the poor bun and I wonder what sort of accomodation he will have at the office?

Yes, who knows, but I dare say the idea will be free ranging, and he may well love it, but most rabbits would hate it, anyone reading this is going to get the idea that you can drag your rabbits out of their environment with no worries.

I think it's very sad, and even if they do everything else right with this bunny (which I feel sure they will) I am being totally synical thinking it's just a gimmic to use him to make them look like they are pro rescue and in with the latest thinking of getting a rabbit from a rescue.

Burgess are/have been pro-rescue by supporting many with food sponsorship and the like, but I don't think that this one sentence is helpful.

I guess that the bunny's new mum didn't just adopt him in order to have a Burgess rabbit (well I pray she didn't) and that she was adopting a rescue bun anyway, but I think the blog hasn't got them off to a flying start in welfareland.:cry:

Last edited:
Just read it and I totally agree - completely the wrong message. Makes the bunny sound like it's going to be some sort of office mascot :roll:

Because Rimmi lives in a flat, we often take him to the park (its called a park but its more like an ornimental garden - hardly any kids and no dogs) and I take him to a village cricket ground when my OH plays (other wise he'd be home alone ALL day) and he loves it. He is such a noisy fella that he starts exploring as soon as you put him down, he loves nothing more than munching the long grass or digging up a flower bed or two.

But those are quiet environments, I wonder what the offices are like? They might be noisy.... hot.... I know Rimmi would not like that. :?

I hope Burgess has a nice place to hide.... Rimmi always has his large carrier with his snuggly bed to hide in if he gets fed up or scared.

Please dont jump all over me but.... This does have some good points too. The entry for the first week is good and very pro rescue. Many people still dont know that there are so many rabbits in rescue. If they approach a rescue to rehome a bun we have the oppertunity to advise against traveling this much with all but the most robust of rabbits. I cant see the pic of the hutch at work but no one has complained so i am guessing it is a good example of a pet rabbits home?

Please dont jump all over me but.... This does have some good points too. The entry for the first week is good and very pro rescue. Many people still dont know that there are so many rabbits in rescue. If they approach a rescue to rehome a bun we have the oppertunity to advise against traveling this much with all but the most robust of rabbits. I cant see the pic of the hutch at work but no one has complained so i am guessing it is a good example of a pet rabbits home?

I wouldn't dare to jump on anyone and you do have a good point, but I don't think they have considered that everything they write about this will be under close scrutiny from experienced carers but will also be held up as the done thing by new carers.

I think that the rescue angle is very important and to be commended as it does highlight that rescues exist and that they do a very important job.

It's just the portable pet bit I dislike intensely, regardless of how this rabbits manages with the situation, it shows the unknowing masses that it's acceptable for rabbits to be 'carried around'. We know people do this as we've had people on here posting about rabbits they've seen being dragged scared stiff into pubs or on to town high streets.

Rabbits are not on the whole an animal that will tolerate this without some levels of stress. IMO

Rabbits are not on the whole an animal that will tolerate this without some levels of stress. IMO

Agreed. Even when we do a road show we have 2 buns who love to attend and all the attention (yes they get breaks and no people are not alowed to pick them up) but we would never just take any old bun.

Perhaps some one could email them and suggest that they find a way of putting this into their "story" so that people realise that not all bunnies would like this. To be hones I think my buns would love my office as it has loads of space and is nice and quiet and has cosey holes under the desks to hide! Not sure about the car journies tho.

Personally I cant wait for next weeks entry where the computers are all off line because some one chewed through the network cable :lol::lol:

Agreed. Even when we do a road show we have 2 buns who love to attend and all the attention (yes they get breaks and no people are not alowed to pick them up) but we would never just take any old bun.

Perhaps some one could email them and suggest that they find a way of putting this into their "story" so that people realise that not all bunnies would like this. To be hones I think my buns would love my office as it has loads of space and is nice and quiet and has cosey holes under the desks to hide! Not sure about the car journies tho.

Personally I cant wait for next weeks entry where the computers are all off line because some one chewed through the network cable :lol::lol:

I've already sent them a message asking them to edit the blog to show that this is not commonly acceptable for all bunnies. We'll see what they come back with.

And, I love your idea about the cables!:lol::lol:

If i took any of my buns to the office with me that is the first thing they would do :lol:
Not that i would take any of them mind and i totally agree this is giving out the wrong message, why would you take the bun to work with you anyway? Would they take their cat/dog/hamster etc??

Guessing he's not neutered and living alone too, maybe he will start 'harrassing' the office ladies nice high heels ;) :lol::lol:

I think he will certainly be neutered and vaccinated as he has come from a rescue centre.

Darn hehe would have made interesting reading :lol: Glad he's from a rescue :D

Edit: the blog says he was only in the rescue for 2 weeks though, that seems fast to neuter and vaccinate :? inless he had some already done of course (which it doens't say) :wave:

Darn hehe would have made interesting reading :lol: Glad he's from a rescue :D

Edit: the blog says he was only in the rescue for 2 weeks though, that seems fast to neuter and vaccinate :? inless he had some already done of course (which it doens't say) :wave:

Now see, I didn't even think about that! Well spotted. He may not be :?

Now see, I didn't even think about that! Well spotted. He may not be :?

Looking at Sue's website I doubt she would have let him go without it done though as her website seems fab :D All a puzzle :? Tbh I would trust a burgess worker to vaccinate etc as I suppose its a bit of special circumstances being the 'burgess' rabbit :lol: Who knows? lol :lol: (I'll wait for the next blog maybe)

Taken from the rescue's website:

All our rabbits are neutered and we would like to rehome rabbits in pairs or as a companion to another bunny, because we believe they do better in pairs rather than singly.

From this, I think it is safe to say he is neutered.

I'm going to sit on the fence with this one!

Oh sod it, here's my thought ..

Yes travelling and change is stressful to rabbits, however once the journey is over they can forget about it (as some of mine do), but saying that some hate change and find new surroundings stressful (as some of mine do).

My view is that I agree it's not an ideal situation and definitly shouldn't be thought upon as a normal thing to do, but in saying that it depends on the bunny themselves, how well they have bunny proofed the office, how aware everyone is so bunny comes to no harm, and whether bunny has a hidey hole. Ideally if they are going to take him I would be happier knowing they had a pen area for him with lots of things to do.

Regardless of how we feel about their plans, at least we agree that it's FANTASTIC that he's from a rescue, go Burgess!

I'm going to sit on the fence with this one!

Oh sod it, here's my thought ..

Yes travelling and change is stressful to rabbits, however once the journey is over they can forget about it (as some of mine do), but saying that some hate change and find new surroundings stressful (as some of mine do).

My view is that I agree it's not an ideal situation and definitly shouldn't be thought upon as a normal thing to do, but in saying that it depends on the bunny themselves, how well they have bunny proofed the office, how aware everyone is so bunny comes to no harm, and whether bunny has a hidey hole. Ideally if they are going to take him I would be happier knowing they had a pen area for him with lots of things to do.

Regardless of how we feel about their plans, at least we agree that it's FANTASTIC that he's from a rescue, go Burgess!

I agree. It's very hard (and somewhat unfair) to speculate if the situation is not fully understood. None of us have met this bunny and/or seen how it behaves and copes in the situation.

Back