• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Washing Beds.

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Fudge has 2 beds that she had before she was spayed and she wee'd all over them. Even though they have been washed she jumps on them and has a wee.

Im thinking its because she can still smell her wee on them :roll:

Is there anything that i can put in the washing machine with the beds that will remove the smell of wee without damaging the machine?

Any help would be great :wave:

It's not so much about the smell - as about the 'texture' of what bunny is sitting on i'm afraid. Some buns like to pee on a soft bed! :roll:

We have had this problem with our female bun since we adopted her - there were 'many' reasons for her peeing on her bed, one of them simply being that it 'felt nice'! :lol:

We solved each issue one at a time by a process of elimination (if you pardon the pun! :lol:) and the final one to prevent her from peeing on the bedding in the hutch was to keep it away from the corners! So instead we have the vet bed/blanket bed at the front of the hutch both upstairs and downstairs but atleast 3-4 inches from touching the back or sides of the hutch - that solved one of the peeing issues.

She only pees now on her bed if her routine is disrupted in some way or she is overtired and can't be bothered to hop to her litter tray in the middle of the night! :roll: Insecurity played a very large part - but this is just us and our situation and our particular rabbit.
Re positioning the litter tray to a 'safe' location in her eyes also helped as did having two litter trays in the hutch - upstairs and downstairs. Around the house and on the 'soft' rugs and blankets she never does it - only in her hutch.
I think there is an aspect of 'risk' involved. Does tend to spend more time in the burrow in the wild I think and 'surfacing' to use the latrine requires a certain risk - braving predators. Droppings are used to mark territory and therefore worth depositing on the latrine - I think they would also attract predators and fill up the burrow rather over time! But urine in an emergency will soak into soil or sand and not cause a problem if the doe doesn't feel the risk of surfacing is worth it. I must say - these are my own theories and not a definite description of what happens in the wild - I could be WAY OFF and probably am! :oops::lol:

I dont think its because they are soft because she has vet bedding and multiple blankets in her cage that has never been wee'd on its just the 2 beds she wee'd on before.

She used to wee on blankets but i threw them out and got new ones and since she hasnt wee'd on blankets or anything soft :roll:

I would go out and buy 2 new beds but at £20 per bed i just cant afford that so i thought if i washed the blankets or soaked them in white vinegar and then washed them it might take the smell of wee away and she might not used them for the toilet :roll::lol:

Thanks though, she is a good little girl now she has been spayed although she does occasionally wee on the carpet where she used to :?

Bunnies Eh!?:roll::roll:

Bicarbonate of soda is good for neutralising smells though I'm not sure how you'd use it in a wash. Try google. At a guess - wash, soak in bicarb solution, wash again.

Or soda crystals might work - I know you can add them to a wash to soften water in a hard water area. They *might* also work as an odour neutraliser but again better check via google.

i found all it took was moving beds from the corners. if you put them in the corners mine always wee on them!:lol:

Back