• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Coccidiosis

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone know how to get rid of it from grass? Out garden is wildie infested, and for the last year the boys keep picking up worms and coccidiosis from eating the grass where they've been. They're now confined to the run attached to their shed, and they must be getting so bored - the grass has been eaten right down as well! I want to fence off a section of the garden, and kill off the coccidiosis so Ginger and Pickles can go there.

Anyone know how?

When I researched about Coccidia I found that the only thing that killed it that wouldn't kill the grass was stong UV light i.e. strong sunlight - I cut the grass short and baked it in the sun.

I would say that cutting the grass short and netting off an area for a few months would probably be the best solution. You will need to keep the wild buns out completely which will mean digging the fence down quite far (about 1 metre) and it will need to be about 4ft high at least. Once you have fenced off the area leave it until march next year to allow sun (which isn't very strong) and frost to do it's work & let them on next year.

I know this is an old post, but I'm in the process of preparing a large area of grass for the buns' new run. I've spent ALL DAY digging and I've only manged 1/4 of the space. I don't suppose anyone knows, if you lay turf over contaminated grass will the coccidiosis come through?

Sorry, that question doesn't make much sense, but d'ya know what I mean?

Back