• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fruit Juices

sidereus7

Mama Doe
How often can I give my bunnies fruit juice?

I have 100% organic apple juice with no additives, and Milo is addicted. I gave him a tiny cap-full, and he was licking the cap long after it was gone! :shock: I just feel so bad that all they drink is water, and mommy gets yummy hot chocolate. Just seems unfair. :(

why give your rabbits juice at all? i like ice cream but i don't give it to the bunnies. they love a green bean -me, can't stand the things. i suppose its possible a rabbit might lick the juice out of a piece of fruit in the wild...but why encourage it?

i know you're a real bunny-lover, i've read your posts! i'm not trying to criticise... but just, why?

when im disgusing bio lapis in the water i am tempted to add fruit juices..but i save it for meds etc. i guess you could add a cap to the water bowl as a treat now and then:)

why give your rabbits juice at all? i like ice cream but i don't give it to the bunnies. they love a green bean -me, can't stand the things. i suppose its possible a rabbit might lick the juice out of a piece of fruit in the wild...but why encourage it?

i know you're a real bunny-lover, i've read your posts! i'm not trying to criticise... but just, why?

When I had to give Milo some Baytril a week ago, he wouldn't have it. So my vet suggested mixing it with a bit of pure apple juice to make it not taste so bad. He did like the apple juice, and it made me think how boring it must be to drink water all the time.

I think apple juice is a far cry from ice cream, as far as bunny/human equivalents go. We do many things for our rabbits that aren't simulations of the wild as well. In the wild, a rabbit would live how long? 2 years? Also in the wild, my rabbit wouldn't be eating bananas, as they're tropical. Should I not feed them anything that isn't in their natural habitat?

A rabbit's system can handle a certain amount of apple juice with no consequences, and they love it. I just want to know how much is safe. I've read that the sugar isn't an issue as their teeth are cleaned when they chew pellets and hay constantly. But I am concerned about causing gut dysbiosis.

I know you're not trying to criticize, and I don't take it personally. But do you really not feed your rabbit anything outside of the "wild diet", even if it were perfectly safe to give?

my advice would be do not give rabbits fruit juices to drink at all..unless mixing with a med which is a neccessity

They are much too sweet even without added sugars as they contain fruit sugars.

Water only for bunnies to drink..with probiotics added if needed
We must all stay away from the temptation of humanising our pets a bit too much!:D They do not yearn for your hot chocolate or anything else..so don't feel guilty!

my advice would be do not give rabbits fruit juices to drink at all..unless mixing with a med which is a neccessity

They are much too sweet even without added sugars as they contain fruit sugars.

Water only for bunnies to drink..with probiotics added if needed
We must all stay away from the temptation of humanising our pets a bit too much!:D They do not yearn for your hot chocolate or anything else..so don't feel guilty!

Lies! Rimmi wants everything and anything that I eat... check out some of my posts.... hes a naughty food theif!!

And as for human food, my rabbit Tabby (RIP) was the WORST human food stealer EVER. Whenever we had a BBQ we'd have to put her in the run, for if she was lose she would steal whatever she could get and hide.... she even stole a burger :shock: and she loved iced cream (was living with small child at the time.... he dropped his and she was licking it off the floor)

And Tabby lived to a good age... her death wasnt food related.

Someone mentioned on her diluting a bit of juice with water and misting it on hay to encourage buns to eat more hay so maybe the odd bit is ok?

I cant ever remember giving mine fruit juice..... but Rimmi has stolen Pepsi max and cold tea....

My vet told me off for giving the Tedster Apples!!! Too much sugar is bad for them, but the odd apple and other sugary fruit is fine! (just need to watch they don't get too fat!) If you've seen how much juice you can get out of an apple you will see that they don't need seperate juice....if you want to treat him then an apple is far better!! Using it for medicine is fair enough though!!

I was going on the fact the person above you didnt give him pepsi max normally but he nicked abit :?

I have a bunny who has a dust allergy (yeap what a luckily sod) and when I have to soak his hay he didn't eat it at first so was recommended to dilute abit and put it in the water I was soaking it with to encourage him to eat it.

I was going on the fact the person above you didnt give him pepsi max normally but he nicked abit :?

I have a bunny who has a dust allergy (yeap what a luckily sod) and when I have to soak his hay he didn't eat it at first so was recommended to dilute abit and put it in the water I was soaking it with to encourage him to eat it.

Yeah, its really hard to keep anything safe from Rimmi, hes so nosy.... he tips glasses over... :( Not good cos I am running out of towels!

Its not at though he is starved or lacting water... he has a water bowl AND a water bottle in the living room!!

Err... naughty Rimmi, couldnt believe it when he went for the tea!

And BTW... we never let him eat the things.... or want him to, he steals and then we run after him getting them.

I remember Blue jumping up and landing into my dinner once :lol: and he always knocks drinks over and tries to drink them :roll:

I just feel so bad that all they drink is water, and mommy gets yummy hot chocolate. Just seems unfair. :(

Give up your hot chocolate and then you won't feel guilty. ;):lol::lol:

Seriously though, I don't think they have cravings for things, although some would happily eat/drink anything you offered to them. Just stick with the water and he'll be none the wiser about what he's missing out on. :)

I really don't think rabbits have a longing for sugary treats. Sure, they enjoy them if they find them, but I don't think they miss them if they're not there.

I literally never give mine anything except hay, pellets and veg with very occasional fruit. It doesn't do them any harm and after reading how frequently buns are put in life threatening situations by eating a very small amount of something bad for them, I don't feel the need to risk it.

Bunny diets are something of a matter of opinion though so each to their own, there are few hard and fast rules. (Exceot for the hay thing. Obviously. ;) )

.I know you're not trying to criticize, and I don't take it personally. But do you really not feed your rabbit anything outside of the "wild diet", even if it were perfectly safe to give?

i'm pretty sure my rabbits wouldn't get much hay and pelleted food in the wild! they'd have to forage like everybun else :D

they have hay, pellets, veggies. big treats - fancy hay, green beans, maybe a piece of apple. they drink water.

never occurred to me to give them anything else...:?

i can envisage giving juice to hide meds though. and they did once get hold of a little mango peel and spent ages licking the flesh from it... but i rarely eat mango so they don't see much around :wave:

Me neither. I'm a mean mummy :( If it's not vegetable matter of some kind then they don't get it. Hay, grass, veg, fruit, herbs and wild plants and that's it! If I do offer them a nibble of a biscuit or something with chocolate on it they promptly turn their noses up and go away....! :shock: I take that as a lack of craving for anything human :)

My little fella Beebee had a really big moult.As a result, my vet suggested a bit of pineapple juice (which apparently helps sort out the fur).
I learnt off here though that fruit juice contains so much sugar that diabetes could be the result.
Beebee, however, lapped up the juice, the furball got pooped out and hes now a happy bunny.Doesnt even ask for the juice anymore!!
The occasional apple piece or two,the odd carrot, the odd bit of banana as a little treat...along with all the carrot tops,herbs,hay,usual pellets, strawberry leaves etc etc.......I mean,crikey, my bunnies eat better than me!!!!
(BTW, I have chocolate ovalltine...its lush!!)

Chocolate ovaltine? Is that nice? I, myself, am more of a tea fan! (Earl Gray only). Can't drink hot chocolate!

Pineapple juice is good for moults!

Strawberry is terrible when there is food around but Snowdrop isnt bothered. Strawbs pinced a bourbon the other day and Snow just sniffed it then ran off.

He also went in the fridge while I was making a drink, grabbed a chocolate mousse and hid under the sofa with it! By the time I had moved the whole living room round to grab him he had chewed the lid of and was having a good snack on it!

Strawberry is terrible when there is food around but Snowdrop isnt bothered. Strawbs pinced a bourbon the other day and Snow just sniffed it then ran off.

He also went in the fridge while I was making a drink, grabbed a chocolate mousse and hid under the sofa with it! By the time I had moved the whole living room round to grab him he had chewed the lid of and was having a good snack on it!

A bunny mouth covered in choccy mousse??? OOOh, how adorable!!! Any pics?????????

Back