• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Elvis (heartbroken family)

HJH

Young Bun
We lost our little man on Friday and I had a few questions and worries, can anyone give any pointers please.

When he was very poorly the day before he died, we covered him with a towel to keep him warm, his wife Honey kept uncovering him and didn't like the towel on him, has anyone else experienced this with a poorly bun.

Also we are so worried about her being lonely, she won't go in her litter tray any more. When we put her in the playhouse she won't go to the toilet at all until we let her out in morning then she goes in the bottom of the garden. This is where they always go during the day. I am worried she is holding herself and going to end up with tummy problems as well. There isn't one poo in the house, she did do a wee in the tray on Saturday night. But nothing last night again. I put some poos from the garden in the tray today to try and scent it, maybe this will work!

We have put an Ey-ore soft toy in there, which looks very like Elvis, even laying down as rabbits do, she licks his ears and grooms him, lays next to him, it makes me sad. How long should I leave it there. We are torn by getting another friend for her, as coping with the aftermath of losing one is awful, then you start another cycle of lonlieness for the one left behind, never ending heartache. This has killed us all.

Sorry to go on..

Hiya

I am so sorry for your loss and I understand entirely what you are going through now.

Firstly the question of the towel - bunnies are funny creatures and have their own way of dealing with their partner becoming sick - my Daisy started attacking Gabe when he was ill - its just bunny language and makes sense to them so try not to worry about it.

Its heartbreaking to see the bunny left on their own.... and difficult to get another for fear of 'replacing' the lost bun :cry: From my experience I ignored my feelings of guilt and concentrated on Daisy's happiness, this in turn has really helped me get over my loss - to know that she is now happy and also another bunny has a home.

I sometimes wonder if Daisy remembers Gabriel.... but then think it doesn't matter, he will always be in my heart and she is happy again.

I urge you to consider a new partner for you bun - it will help heal you all.

Hugs xx

Elvis

Thankyou.
I can't stand the loss, we have been affected in a way you wouldn't believe, even after only one year of having him. Are we creating another never ending cycle of pain for us and the bun left behind by getting another one. Do you think she will always be sad and lonely or am I over analysing things. Do rabbits get over a loss and cope on their own?

I'm sorry you lost your bunny.
I do think rabbit benefit from companions of their own kind and I wouldn't personally want to keep one alone if they are capable of bonding with another- most of us try to form relationships despite the risk that our loved ones will die before us- the good times outweigh the bad. Rabbits are no different in that respect xx

hello. i am sorry you lost your bun. your pain is obvious - elvis was a lucky bun to be so loved. best wishes with making your decision about whether or not to find a new husbun for honey.

Having met you all, i know how much you adored Elvis. And in turn, i know how happy they were as a pair. They would always lay together when they boarded here and you never saw one without the other. It does sound like she is pining.

Like i said on the phone the other day, she wont miss Elvis, she is missing company. Jelly was the same. Luckily for me, i had others to bond her with, i didnt have your dilemma. However, if the bond hadnt worked out between the three, i would have sought out another friend for Jelly.

Honey is only young, (is she around 2 yrs now?), she has a long life ahead of her, and while she is an extremly friendly and loves human contact, unfortunatly its not a substitue for bunny company.

You have had alot to cope with, having had a very poorly bunny when you were new bunny owners and its alot for anyone to cope with, and ill be honest, if Jelly didnt bond with the others, i would probably want to keep her single because the heartbreak of watching a bunny go downhill is so severe. But...she would be lonely, and thats not nice for anyone to watch.

Nobody can tell you to get another bunny, and nobody can say its easy especially when you are all missing him so much. Im not going to say the same thing wont happen because nobody knows...but...honey is young,and maybe, if you did look into getting a friend for her, i would personally suggest getting a friend a similar age.

It doesnt rule out much, but at least then, if they both live to old age naturally, then they wont have long without each other.

I think, the heartache for you all may ease if you see Honey happy again. I know for Jelly... (im not trying to compare just know how it feels with the loss of PB so close to elvis), i felt alot more happier when i saw her happy. Watching her huddled up not interested in anything broke my heart.

Thankyou.
I can't stand the loss, we have been affected in a way you wouldn't believe, even after only one year of having him. Are we creating another never ending cycle of pain for us and the bun left behind by getting another one. Do you think she will always be sad and lonely or am I over analysing things. Do rabbits get over a loss and cope on their own?

my genuine opinion is that, she will become less sad over time, she wont pine as much. but...but she wont be as nowhere near as happy as she was with a friend, because that was the whole reason you got her a friend, to enhance her life and her happiness.

its just so sad she didnt get to spend longer with her friend :(

Thankyou.

You obviously loved him very much, we know how you feel - SJ above as you know is feeling a great loss too - it's heartbreaking :cry: I do feel very confident that a new friend for Honey will help -watching her lonley is a constant reminder - when you see her happy again you will feel happy again.

In respect of the never ending cycle - yes its true... but I live for now and do what is best now... as a young bun Honey would greatly benefit from a new friend, if in the future you lost another, there are options... bringing the remaining bun indoors as a solo house bun for example.

The choice is yours hun, just do what is in your heart. Wishing you and your family well xx

Back