• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cecal Dysbiosis

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
We have been having issues with Mini and I think it's cecal dysbiosis. The vet said it was probably her diet and give her FibrePlex and said if it continued she might need an antibiotic. Mini is not like it all the time, she tends to have a bout of it for a few days, then is ok for a few days.

They have Pets at Home mixed food mixed with Pets at Home pellets, am trying to move them onto pellets only. With lots of hay and water. They get veg or grass every now and then, but not every day which I am going to try and change.

Fibreplex may help get things regulated again. Hay should be 90% of the diet and just a small amount of pellets.

I have this problem with on of my buns (he has had tests and they all came back clear), his problem is he will not eat hay. I therefore have high fibre pellet Bunny Basics T which are hay based. They are expensive but may help you. I found that the likes of Excel and Science Selective gave a sticky bum to one of mine although they do seem to suit a lot of buns on here.

If you decide to change the pellets, do this slowly over a couple of weeks.

Good luck.

My Dad feeds them in the mornings and I'm thinking that he may be giving them too much so they gorge on that and don't eat enough hay. I've asked him to leave the feeding to me now.

I suspect my o/h gives mine a bit too much veg :roll:, but I think that Homey just has a sensitive tum too. 90% of the time he does lovely big golden poops, it just seems to be first thing in the morning we get a bit of "slop" (not every day either).

I take rabbits in for a small animal rescue, we get many rabbits who either have dirty bottoms or have excess caecals from an assorted cause. The most common causes are being fed too much low fibre food. From my own experience the most common foods which cause problems are pets at home pellets which are made by Excel, all mixes and a number of the Excel foods.

The easier way to reduce problems is by reducing the dried food to less than an egg cup of dried food a day and also slowly weaning them on to a higher fibre diet such as Bunny basics, Science selective or A&P natural pellets.

Fibre plex can help, however it is better dealt with by increasing the fibre in the diet naturally.

I agree totally with the above post. Both my rescue buns when we adopted them were like this - tons of excess caecotrophs daily, and with one bun malformed excess caecotrophs and a very messy bottom. Dietary changes were key to clearing this up for good.

I gave them loads and loads of hay yesterday and some veg and they'd been out on the grass and by the evening she had a big lump of sticky poo. When I wiped it off there were loads and loads of perfectly formed poos underneath. :thumb:

I'm going to try and get some Science Selective and gradually move them over to that. Mini and Nutmeg eat pellets fine, it's just Mischa who is holding out on me. :no:

Back