• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby bunny disaster - (Update: Bun is okay)

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Just posting this for one of my friend's who's in a bit of a state at the moment. She has two rabbits who are kept separately but her mum and sister thought it would be cute to let them out together about a month ago and of course the inevitable happened. The problem is that Domino, the female is dwarf and the father is a giant. One baby was born last night, it was the size of a guinea pig, it was also dead. So far nothing else has happened but she's really worried about the health of her bunny. She's been in touch with the vets but they said it would be better to let it run it's course. I don't agree with that. But how long do we need to watch the rabbit to see if there are any more babies, I'm sure there is no room for any. What I'm worried about is dead babies being stuck in there which is dangerous for the mother.

Two other things: what can we do to make things a little bit more comfortable for mum, considering the size of the baby that came out. Also is it true that females can hold a fertilised egg and become pregnant straight away after?

Last edited:
If the babies are too big then chances are they just won't come out. Ted's sister just had to have an emergency spay due to a dead oversized kit. She should go to the vet if anything hasn't happened in the next few days.

Unlike cats and dogs, dead kits don't rot in the mum but will mummify. The vet will feel her tummy to check for kits and see if any are alive. If they are then she can have a c-section, that is rather risky. If they are dead she will need an x-ray to see how many kits are still inside her and where they are, then a spay.

Unfortunately this is going to be rather expensive for your friend. If she had gone earlier in the pregnancy then the spay would have been easier and will have stopped any health problems for mum.

This rabbit needs a rabbit savvy vet examination ASAP. Like tonight.

Do you know how she is acting? is she eating? drinking? Pooing? weeing?

What on earth is a mum playing at doing this to their poor girlie rabbit. Breaks my heart.

I know it's horrible. They didn't even tell her so she didn't know her rabbit was pregnant and was picking her up as if she wasn't. She's so upset and angry.

Anyway, the vet I see rang her and said disregard the previous information we need to see her immediately. She's really good so I trust she's in good hands. I don't know who she spoke to first but I'm glad my vet rang her back. She's eating, pooing etc so just have to see what the vet says.

I'll update you when I know more, but as she's currently having massive arguments (understandably) with her mum I'll check up tomorrow.

Good news, bun is okay. :)
Went to the vets and there are no more babies in her, she said that the other one probably suffocated during a difficult birth. They just have to keep removing the nests she's making to help her hormones calm down. And get her spayed as soon as possible...

Phew. But poor poor bunny for having to go through that. So very sad. Glad she is ok though.

Back