• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbit just died...whyy?

RhysScfc

New Kit
:cry::cry:

my rabbit just died :cry:

only bought him yesterday.:(

came back from school, he hadnt moved, so brought him inside, he wouldnt eat any apple or anything, or wouldnt move and was breathing really fast and heavily,was also shaking ALOT
picked him up and then he started squealing and died:cry:
what did i do?:cry:
or was it to cold for him outside?:cry:

I'm so sorry for your loss :cry: Was it a baby rabbit? Unfortunately, very young rabbits can suffer stress as a result of moving home and new food etc and their immature digestive systems just aren't able to cope, but it could have been any number of reasons that caused it to pass away.

The only way to know would be to have a post mortem carried out by your vet.

ye he was little :(
i gave him the same food as he was fed in the shop and i was going to get his sister/brother tonight too :cry:

ye he was little :(
i gave him the same food as he was fed in the shop and i was going to get his sister/brother tonight too :cry:

I'm sorry, it's horrible when a pet dies. Must have been such a shock for you. If you decide to get another rabbit, you may want to look at getting a rescue bunny - they'll be given a health check before you get him/her, which means you're far less likely to get an already sick bun.

Where do you live? - there may be a rescue centre near you.

I am so sorry for your loos, it must have been such a terable shock for you. Unfortunatly baby buns are delicate things and many pet shops do not treat them very well. Perhaps he was scared being on his own and the shock of moving but it is likley he was ill before he came to you. Please don't beat yourself up thinking it was your fault.

Take some time, take a deep breath and then, if you still want to have a rabbit companion approach a good local rescue for help. if you dont know where to find a rescue dont worry we can help there. The best part about a rescue bun, other than knowing that you have helped it, is being able to call the rescue and ask advice and for help if you need it.

Most people on this board have suffered a tragerdy and we do sympathise with you.

If you felt up to it you could also tell the local council or even the RSPCA so they can check and make sure the bunnys at that pet shop are being well looked after.

I'm sorry you lost your bunny. As others have said, he may have been ill when you got him- baby bunnies have very delicate tummies and he had probably been through many stressful events before you got him, poor baby xx

Hi, I am too sorry for your loss,I certainly wouldn't purchase another rabbit from the same place and usually if something like that happens I would demand my money back. You have to be careful with choosing rabbits first check to see if there is any discharge from nose or mouth and then definately check the front teeth to see if they are straight.
Good luck.

I'm so sorry for your loss.:(

I went through a very similar experience 3 years ago before I got Lola. I bought a bunny from Pets at Home, the usual my bunny was supposed to be a she and ended up a he (Pepi). Anywho I had my rabbit for 3days, but I noticed he wasn't very active, liked to sleep and had a very messy bottom. So straight away I took him to my vet. They did an awful lot, and the bill came close to £2000 without even full treatment, we refused to pay and Pets at Home paid the bill and took him to one of their own vets. He died within 10days of me purchasing him . It turned out all the bunnies that were sold in the same 'batch' as him also died. They all had a parasite in their intestine which killed them, the parasite was passed to each bunny by the ingestion of each others cecotropes. I was so devastated that my little bunny died. But i will say Pets at Home did all they could to help me. Lola was given to me by Pets at Home for free because of what happened to Pepi. Obviously i wish things could have been different for Pepi.:(

Definitely get in touch with the pet store you purchased the bunny from and find out if the bunny was kept with any others, and if possible if anything similar has happened to them. This may help you distinguish what actually happened to your little one.

Sorry again.:cry:

Back