View Full Version : In a predicament... mum or bunny :'(

07-09-2009, 11:27 AM
I've got a really tough decision to make: my rabbit or my mum. :(

The brief story is, Grimlock is really ill with an abscess inside his mouth attached to his jaw. He's on baytril twice a day and it's basically a matter of time as it can't be cured completely. (I'm seeking a second opinion but that's how it is at the moment.)

My mum is really ill and can't travel after having major spinal surgery and I haven't seen her since the beginning of the year. I've decided to go back to university as a mature student and my parents have said they would help me with the costs (they're amazing) and I promised I'd go and see my mum before I go to university on the 21st September.

But then I became aware of Grimlock's illness and I still haven't been to see her. But if I do go I have to take Grim because I'm the only one who can give him his medicine. My dilemma is that my parents live in Manchester and I live in Great Yarmouth in Norfolk and it's an 8 hour journey. I've taken Grim to theirs before and he travels well as long as I'm giving him cuddles. If I'm not he throws a tantrum so I have to cuddle him for 8 hours (not a problem really :D). On the other hand I don't want to cause him unnecessary stress traveling and living in a different place for a week, plus the fact that he may not have much longer left and my other half would be devastated if he didn't get to see him first.

But my mum keeps saying how much she's looking forward to seeing me and I don't want to let her down either as the next time I'll have off from uni is Christmas. I just don't know what to do, it's like trying to choose between my child and my mum. :cry:

07-09-2009, 11:31 AM
I think you need to tell her about how you are feeling torn. Depending on how he travels will give you the answer to whether you can take him. (I don't want to ask this...but how long does he have left?) I'm sure your mum would understand!

07-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Maybe you could get an experienced pet sitter (ask your vets if they know of any) to visit him as often as he needs meds while you are away- or can your oh look after him for a few days?

07-09-2009, 11:33 AM
is there a rescue or an experienced boarder close to you who could help with his meds? im not a vet and im not going to pretend to be but when Peanut had his abscess, baytril wasnt strong enough to help him, he ended up going on septrin and it wa smuch better. xxx

Hugo's There
07-09-2009, 11:34 AM
I wish I was closer I would have looked after him for a few days for you :( I don't think taking him on a long journey would be good for him with his health issues.

With all the sick bunnies we have here I really appreciate how difficult this is for you :(

Biscuit Bunny
07-09-2009, 11:49 AM
I think you need to train your OH in giving your bunny the medication, so bunny can stay at home.

My hubby isn't that good at catching our bun or medicating her but if I wasn't around he would have to find a way.

07-09-2009, 12:19 PM
I agree with Biscuit Bunny, see if you can teach your OH to look after your bun for you, that way he can stay at home in familiar surroundings and your OH can follow all your instructions and give you regular updates by phone etc. People learn best when the situation is upon them and they have no choice. My OH had never been around rabbits before we got our buns but now he's chief groomer and can do pretty much most things confidently. I know that if the situation arose and I wasn't there he'd learn pretty quick to do the other things.

I agree that 8 hours whilst he is so unwell is just that bit too far really for him to travel. I suppose you could ask your vets to admit him and care for him? But to be honest I think he'd be happier at home with whatever your OH can manage, or as suggested see if someone experienced can pop in to give your OH a hand with the tricky stuff.

07-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think most of it is that I worry too much and I'm only happy if I've given him the medicine as then I know it's done properly. I trust my other half completely and he loves Grim as much as I do, it's just I've had rabbits since I was 11 and Grim is his first.

Plus I want to be with him. I don't know how long he's got left, which is a huge worry, if I leave him will I see him again? If I take him will my other half?

But then my mum's my mum. So confused. :(

(I know the Baytril isn't strong enough but my vet said it's all he can go on. So I'm in the process of getting a second opinion.)

07-09-2009, 07:47 PM
ask about septrin, i believe it bought Peanut much more time. its not licensed for bunny use but many people use it.xxx

07-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Try your vets, one of the nurses may take him for you.

07-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Bit extravagant but you can fly from Norwich with flybe that way you could get up and back in less than a day or just for one night meaning you could see your mum and wouldn't be leaving your bun with your OH for too long, and beside that drive is a nightmare. Hope you make a decision soon x

07-09-2009, 10:47 PM
oh dear. this is where i show myself up.

see your mum.

make the best possible arrangements you can for the bun, but see your mum. really.

08-09-2009, 05:29 AM
I'd say see your mum too! She may resent offering to help you financially if she thinks you caouldn't make the effort to see her. I'm sure your OH will be fine with Grim, but let him know you won't blame him if anything happens... Tough choices I know.....

08-09-2009, 07:48 AM
I think you need to train your OH in giving your bunny the medication, so bunny can stay at home.

My hubby isn't that good at catching our bun or medicating her but if I wasn't around he would have to find a way.

Neither was mine, but he has successfully treated the buns when I've been away. Amazing what they can do (men!) when they put their minds to it!

08-09-2009, 08:22 AM
I agree with getting a pet sitter if you don't think your o/h will be able to do it... giving baytril really isn't that difficult even with norty bunnies! :D
I would ask the vet to put him on depocillin for his abscess - you'd need to learn to inject him though, which is not as bad as it sounds :)