• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi

Hi

Im new to this forum but am already a member of guinea pig forum. I am also new to rabbits having never kept them before. I have rescued an 11 week old dwarf rabbit called peter, and have loads of questions. Not sure whether to put them here or elsewhere.
If this is the wrong place mods please move.

Q1 Peters hutch is 10ft by 4ft is that big enough. His run outside is 6ftx6ft.

Q2 He lives in the garage which is heated (no car in there but 3 guinea pig hutches)

Q3 Rabbits need vacinations when should he have them

Q4 What is the lifespan of a rabbit

Q5 He is fed on dwarf rabbit pellets, hay and a mix of fresh veg every day is that acceptable

I have had Peter for 3 weeks now so i think im doing ok.

Hello :wave:

* Did you mean to type 10ft x 4ft? that is a very good size.
*Garages are fine so long as you make sure there are no hazards eg chemicals or fumes that he might get exposed to. He will need lots of company to stop him getting lonely so think about getting him neutered then getting him a spayed girlfriend- bonding is tricky but a rescue centre may be able to help.
*He is old enough to have his first vaccinations now. I would get his myxomatosis vac done now, and VHD in a couple of weeks. He need the myxi vac every 6 months and the VHD every year.
*If you take good care of him he may life for 12 years or more.
*A diet of lots of hay, grass, leafy veg, a few dandelion leaves, herbs and not too many pellets will help to keep him healthy. Apple or pear tree twigs (with leaves) are good for him to gnaw on.
*It sounds like you are doing great. Remember to check him every day that he is eating, pooing, weeing, drinking at that his bottom is clean, and if you have any doubts get him checked by a vet :)

Back