• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to cope with rabbit worry?

Flitany

Young Bun
I've posted elsewhere about my bun Lemmy being ill and questions related to health and medication and stuff. He's been showing symptoms for around a month now, since the first day we brought him home, and although he hasn't gotten worse (and he's not too fussed about the runny nose himself!) he hasn't gotten any better either and I'm really starting to panic that he's suddenly going to take a turn for the worse and we'll lose him. I've lost pets before, but always at a good age after many happy years together. Lemmy's such a charming little creature, I've spent a lot of time with him, probably more so because he's been ill. He's very fond of people, he runs over to get a head rub whenever I go into the yard, and we have a 'friendly competition' going with my lavender plant, whereby I put the pot in ever higher and inaccessable places, and he finds increasingly inventive ways to attack it, usually followed by him dancing around the garden with it in his mouth as if to say "screw you and your rules!". I find I'm really struggling to cope with the worry over his illness though. I just desperately want him to be better, even if his condition is recurring I would like some worry free time when he is symptom free. I know that sickness and death are inevitable and I just need to accept that what is is, and what will be will be. I know it's childish but I get so upset at the idea that he might get taken away from us when we've only just had time to get attached to him.

I was desperately worried when Daisy was really ill shortly after she came to live with me, so I completely sympathise.

I know it's a lot easier said than done, but trying not to be overly stressed/worried around your bunny is very important.

Loads of vibes for you and Lemmy - I hope he'll get through his illness and you'll have many happy years together.

Sorry i prob missed it but whats up with him?
Does he eat,drink,poo fine? If so then you dont need to worry as much thats good it means hes a fighter. Also you thinking the worst makes him think being poorly, you think bad bad things happen. YOu think good good happens yeah honest its true.
As for runny nose is it snuffles or something or just runny nose. Angel has blocked tear ducts and she has a wet nose like a dog sometimes and white gunge comes out her eyes but shes good not poorly as such. Sorry just trying to make you feel better sometimes stuff looks worse than it is and the stuff you cant see is normally he real problem things.
Big deep breath and repeat hes fit and well 'healthy bun' and when you feel sad keep saying it.

Thanks for all your support, no better still but at least he's no worse.

He's had a runny nose and sneezing since we got him, the vet says it's pasturella brought about by stress. Today his nose is particularly gunky with cloudy snot but he's off back to the vets tomoro so hopefully they'll prescribe something else (and check if 'he' is a 'he', cos they weren't 100% sure last time....). He's eating fine, pooing fine, running around happily - I'm not sure he's noticed he's ill!

Hi, Pastuerella can take AGES to get out of the system and can make buns very poorly, but from how you've described him and his behaviour I think he's doing fine and it's not getting worse. Keep up with his normal day-to-day routine, and the meds and hopefully you'll start seeing an improvement very soon.

One of my buns had Pasteurella and despite the meds she never could get rid of it and would have flare ups, but she lived to a grand age of 9+ years !

Hi my bridge bun Ralph had pasturella but infortunately his previous owners didn't see to it quick enough. providing that he is recieving treatment for it he has a good chance. i was very worried when i got ralph and he was very thin and was scared he'd break a leg jumping. but he was amazing and so determined. he was also the sweetest bun i've ever met, i'm even welling up now just talking about him. i will say that worring does get less but you can only do your best hun. get him what treatment he needs and i'm sure he'll live a happy life with you. when can never predic anything. many pastruella buns and lived for many years just some are unfortunate. hope everything works out for you little one he sounds like a charmer.

Meant to also say that I know how hard it is to nurse sick bunnies, have had my fair share this year but try to stay calm, make sure you get enough sleep, and find time to relax even if it's just 10 minutes in a nice bath. You need to look after yourself also x

Oh man, just sat with (Lemmy's pal) Rosie and noticed her left eye is weeping :( At least she's booked in for the vets tomoro too...

Thanks again for your kind messages.

Back